Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What the Winter Solstice Means to Me

1. Back To Top    #1

What the Winter Solstice Means to Me

Today is the shortest day of the year and the day where the sun is at its lowest point in the sky in the northern hemisphere. Most refer to this as the first day of winter. Since the days will now gradually get longer and the sun will slowly but surely get higher in the sky, I prefer to think of it as the first day that summer is on its way!
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: What the Winter Solstice Means to Me

I can get behind that way of thinking!

Coming off a cool summer and another especially cold winter threatening I can use the help dreaming of a long warm summer ahead.

From myHTC One via Tapatalk
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter
    Pool School - PoolMath - HIGHLY Recommended Test Kits

3. Back To Top    #3

I like your way of thinking. I hate cold weather, and even more so now that I have a pool to miss for several months. Cold weather is no good unless there is snow, and KY hardly ever has a white Christmas, so that just adds insult to injury. Late January-February is fun because I like driving in the snow and feeling like there's a reason I drive a 4X4 that gets 12mpg. After that its time for the heat to come back on.
    30K gallon IG vinyl. 1.5HP 2-speed Waterway Mustang pump. 600 lb sand filter. Polaris 280. Circupool SI-60+. TF-100

4. Back To Top    #4

It's all downhill from here... on sleds if we get more snow.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

5. Back To Top    #5

For those of you within a 100 mile radius of Houston be of good cheer. It will not freeze this year because I bought a new furnace a few weeks back! The overnight low hasn't dropped below 50 since. You're welcome!
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by zea3 View Post
    For those of you within a 100 mile radius of Houston be of good cheer. It will not freeze this year because I bought a new furnace a few weeks back! The overnight low hasn't dropped below 50 since. You're welcome!
    I love you, man! Bring on the warm air and sunshine!
    23' x 37' IG 18.5k gallon SWG w/ raised spa, Build Thread -->Here
    Wet Edge® Pearl Matrix®, Hayward® SwimClear™ 525 ft², Hayward® Goldline Controls® PS-8
    4x Hayward® TriStar™ pumps, Paramount PCC2000® ICS, TF-100 w/Speedstir

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by zea3 View Post

Awesome! I was wondering why it's wasn't that cold.
    ~Paul
    19x40 IG including 10' BE, 18,000 gal, plaster, 48 SF DE, 1.5HP pump, AquaPure SWCG, Ozonejoe 30MR, Rockwaterfall, LED light, TF-100 Fill date 11/21/2014
    My ODK Build | My Pool Build | If You're From Texas Vote Here

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by zea3
    Zea3...Any way you could extend that "no-freeze" range to a 250 mile radius?
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

9. Back To Top    #9

^^ Yeah! I am in Dallas now and it's cold!!!
    ~Paul
    19x40 IG including 10' BE, 18,000 gal, plaster, 48 SF DE, 1.5HP pump, AquaPure SWCG, Ozonejoe 30MR, Rockwaterfall, LED light, TF-100 Fill date 11/21/2014
    My ODK Build | My Pool Build | If You're From Texas Vote Here

10. Back To Top    #10

The solstice means the days of grilling in the dark will soon be over.

What's all this talk about freezing? It hit 82 here today. I've got the sliding door open to let out some of the trapped heat!
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320 View Post
    The solstice means the days of grilling in the dark will soon be over.

What's all this talk about freezing? It hit 82 here today. I've got the sliding door open to let out some of the trapped heat!

Me, my Motorycle and my new pool hate you a little bit

12. Back To Top    #12

Sorry Bo, DFW is my brother's territory. He bought a new place earlier this year so it may be awhile before he needs a new furnace. Keep your woollies handy!
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!