Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Tile falling off

1. Back To Top    #1

Tile falling off

Hi,

The tile and plaster on my pool and hot tub was redone 2008-2009.
    As obvious from the pics you can see tile is falling off where the cement was not built out. Can the tile that has fallen off and tile that you see just hanging, be reused by an installer? If not, I was thinking of squeezing caulk or something else recommended from here behind the tile to keep the rest of the tile from falling. The damage is not visible from house side so its not on the do now list.

Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by nexx2; 07-16-2016 at 11:04 AM. Reason: pic space

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Tile falling off

I hate to send you to another place... but I would try John Bridge Tile forums. (www.johnbridge.com). That place is filled with tile experts that will have a better idea of how to proceed with your problem.
    Pool done!! (backyard = work in progress) 32' x 19' inground freeform with 7' spa, baja step w/ (2) bubblers, stonescapes mini pebble finish, rock waterfall feature, 12" raised bond beam, Intelliflo VS, Whisperflo feature pump, (3) 5G Color LED's, FNS + DE 60, 400K Master Temp, Easytouch 8 w/ remote, Intellichlor IC40, Vision Classic Ceramic Kamado smoker, Margaritaville DM1000!!! Party Coming Soon!!
    TF-100 Test Kit w/ Speedstir

3. Back To Top    #3

The tile can be reused. You would need to clean off the old mortar and grout. You can soak the tiles in muriatic acid to clean them. It would be best to remove and reinstall any unbonded tile. The new tile comes on sheets. Placing it one piece at a time can be tedious and time-consuming. Getting new tile on sheets can be easier.

It would also be helpful to grind down any loose mortar so that the tile will adhere properly and evenly.

4. Back To Top    #4

If you find little thin-set/mortar on the back of the fallen tiles, then you found your problem. If there are any loose tiles that have not fallen [yet], then it would appropriate to remove them as well.

The scratch coat is always mandatory, but the real adhering comes from the correct amt you place on the tile back, then adhere to wall. This is even more important when you are setting tile on a circular/convex [none flat] surface. The smaller the tile, like mosiac, are the best for this type of application.

Good luck

5. Back To Top    #5

Thank you for replying.