Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Polishing a pool ladder

1. Back To Top    #1

Polishing a pool ladder

The previous owner of my pool used shock to open and close the pool for the 5-6 years before we owned it. There are a couple bleached out spots on my liner, and my ladder has pitting and some rust. Well it had rust. I used a wire cup on my angle grinder and removed the rust and cleaned it up. I contacted SR Smith for part numbers for the plastic pieces and hardware which I will replace before the pool is opened in the spring. Has anybody ever cleaned/polished their ladder? What did you use to do so? I was thinking about getting a grinder/buffer for my garage this Christmas, but that idea has passed. I'm thinking about getting a Mothers Powerball to polish it with. Anybody have any better ideas?
    30K gallon IG vinyl. 1.5HP 2-speed Waterway Mustang pump. 600 lb sand filter. Polaris 280. Circupool SI-60+. TF-100

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Polishing a pool ladder

I have not idea BUT my husband said to find and ask car guys as they do a lot of chrome and such fixing up and it should be the same.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Once you get the big rust off, 000 steel wool and some elbow grease works pretty good for taking the tarnish off of just about anything made of metal. It does quick work of it. Its pretty amazing how much you can make it shine.

Back in the day, Ive used 000 steel wool on intake manifolds, old dull and rusty motorcycle exhausts and aluminum head covers, and all sorts of stuff that I wanted to look like new... or as new as I could reasonably make it.

If your wire brush left big scratches, then you can get a polishing pad to fit your grinder and metal compound (the red stuff) to try and buff them out. Its a pain gettting big scratches out though.

Wear leather gloves because that 000 steel wool with throw off thousands of tiny tiny splinters and will embed themselves in your hands. Not Fun! Wear old clothes or coveralls as those splinters will get all in them too. A paper respirator is not a bad idea either but ive never had a problem with not wearing one.

Recommend to do the polishing away from anything you dont want rust stains on. Those splinters, if on your patio or driveway, or anything else, will rust when they get wet. Then you have to deal with remedying that!

Once you have it all nice and shiney with the steel wool, final it up with some Turtel Wax brand chrome polish.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

4. Back To Top    #4

I used a fine wheel, not the knotted one, and was real sparing with the pressure, so it isn't scratched bad. It just has a matte finish. I have some steel wool; I'll see if it's 000. Then I'll get the powerball and the chrome polish. Minus the pitting around the first step, it should look brand new. I've gotta get my diving board sand blasted and powder coated too. Note to anyone building a pool: get the saltwater compatible diving board stand.

30K gallon IG vinyl. 1.5HP 2-speed Waterway Mustang pump. 600 lb sand filter. Polaris 280. Circupool SI-60+. TF-100

5. Back To Top    #5

If its aluminum, then the powerball will be the ticket. They work pretty well.
    Pool done!! (backyard = work in progress) 32' x 19' inground freeform with 7' spa, baja step w/ (2) bubblers, stonescapes mini pebble finish, rock waterfall feature, 12" raised bond beam, Intelliflo VS, Whisperflo feature pump, (3) 5G Color LED's, FNS + DE 60, 400K Master Temp, Easytouch 8 w/ remote, Intellichlor IC40, Vision Classic Ceramic Kamado smoker, Margaritaville DM1000!!! Party Coming Soon!!
    TF-100 Test Kit w/ Speedstir

6. Back To Top    #6

It's stainless

7. Back To Top    #7

I just tried the 0000 steel wool I had in the garage. Below the waterline is pretty much a waste of time, but above the water line I could get a good bit of shine. I'll get the powerball and some chrome polish to finish it off.

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

If you use steel wool, or even a chemical, you should remove the ladder from the pool. Those thousands of tiny splinters that were mentioned earlier, could rust in the pool possibly staining plaster/liner. Ladder and handrail manufacturers recommend the use of "Brasso" to clean their stainless handrails. I don't know how well it would handle rust. There is also a product, i believe it's called navel jelly that can handle light to moderate rust. Again do this away from the water (if at all possible).
    Factory Warranty Station for:
    Jandy/Zodiac, Pentair, Sta-Rite, Raypak, Polaris,
    and Paramount pool cleaning systems.

9. Back To Top    #9

Bar Keepers Friend is one of the best things to use on stainless steel.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by mas985 View Post
    Bar Keepers Friend is one of the best things to use on stainless steel.
    Seconded!
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

11. Back To Top    #11

The pool is all closed up for the winter. The ladder is disassembled in my garage. I already cleaned up the rust with the wire wheel when I closed the pool. Just looking to polish it now. I may go 000 then 0000 steel wool since I already have it, then the powerball. I have the powerball for paint, and it's a really cool product. Never had a reason to get the regular one, but it looks like now I do. As a bonus, I can use it to polish the chrome on my motorcycle.

12. Back To Top    #12

Use vinegar and a wad of aluminum foil..... you'll probably need a compound for stainless steel and a buffing wheel to finish up.

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by ewkearns View Post
    Use vinegar and a wad of aluminum foil..... you'll probably need a compound for stainless steel and a buffing wheel to finish up.
    Does that work because the aluminum doesn't scratch the stainless? Or at least not as much?

14. Back To Top    #14

I polish stainless steel almost every day on my handmade knives. Polishing is nothing more than reducing the size of scratches in a surface until you reach an acceptable level of reflectance. When I polish steel, I start sanding with a sandpaper grit aggressive enough to remove all surface blemishes. I then progress through grits by sanding at a 45 angle to the previous grit until all previous lines are gone. I usually sand up to 2000 grit and then take my knives to the buffer with a light coloring compound. It's a lot of work but if you take shortcuts you will just have shiny scratches.

Bob
    New in 2017, will update

15. Back To Top    #15

Here's another question. Is there anything that will restore the color to the black inserts and end caps on the ladder? They are medium to dark grey instead of black. Would automotive back to black work? If I have to replace the inserts and end pieces it's $110-150 depending on how I order the parts. A whole new ladder is only $190 on Amazon right now.

16. Back To Top    #16

I dont think there's any harm in giving it a try.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

17. Back To Top    #17

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by JVTrain View Post
    Seconded!
    Thirded. Its the only thing that I have found that works. Bon ami, brasso etc don't do much compared to barkeeps.
    20X40 30,000 gallon gunite pool

18. Back To Top    #18

So is the bar keepers friend a powder? Like comet or something similar? How is it applied? Would it be the final step after my other attempts to remove the larger imperfections? Most of it is probably fine. I'm probably just wasting time and money even thinking about doing anything to it. Would I use it instead of the chrome polish? I was thinking it might seal it and keep it from dulling much. Maybe it doesn't need that. Stainless should stay shiny, but the steel wool I put to it made it shinier, almost like an oxidized layer was coming off. I didn't know stainless oxidized.

19. Back To Top    #19

Yes it is a powder and will not damage the surface unlike a wire wheel or steel wool will. Put some BKF on a wet rag and polish the surface.

Are you seeing red rust on the surface? If so, it is probably a low grade stainless but BKF should still take it off.

Stainless steel oxidizes (chromium) and that is what protects the surface from rusting (steel) however, low grade stainless will still rust sometimes because the chromium content is lower.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stainless_steel
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

20. Back To Top    #20

I hope there will pics of this ladder forthcoming!
    Divin Dave,

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast