Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Spa blowing bubbles when pump on high speed, in pool mode

1. Back To Top    #1

Spa blowing bubbles when pump on high speed, in pool mode

I had a Whisperflo 1.5 Uprated 2 speed pump installed recently to replace an older Max-e-glas 2 HP full rated.

The new pump clearly moves more water despite same total HP. What is strange is that "sometime" when it starts on high speed it will pull air from the little tube by the elevated spa (assume this is where the spa bubbles come from). This is despite the pool being in "pool mode", not "spa mode". IE the intake is coming from the pool and the returns are split between the pool and the spa.

Do I have a problem? Is the pump "too strong" for my plumbing?
    11,000 gallon in-ground pool/spa combo, pebble-tec, Sta-rite system 3 cartridge 300 sqft, Pentair Whisperflo WFDS-6 2 speed 1.5 HP full-rated, formerly Starite Max-e-Glas 2 HP up-rated single speed, Sta-Rite Max-E Therm natural gas heater. Jandy Aqualink RS Onetouch. Manual vacuum. Chlorine.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Spa blowing bubbles when pump on high speed, in pool mode

I expect you just need some minor fine tuning. You can stop the spa from bubbling by sending more water to the pool and less to the spa. With an automation system, that means adjusting the cams in the automatic valve actuator so it stops in a slight different position that will send a bit more water to the pool.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

When they changed the pump out they also changed the o rings in the automated valves. Could that have done it? Are these simple to adjust for a non-pool expert like myself? The are Jandy valves and have little knobs on top of the handles.
    11,000 gallon in-ground pool/spa combo, pebble-tec, Sta-rite system 3 cartridge 300 sqft, Pentair Whisperflo WFDS-6 2 speed 1.5 HP full-rated, formerly Starite Max-e-Glas 2 HP up-rated single speed, Sta-Rite Max-E Therm natural gas heater. Jandy Aqualink RS Onetouch. Manual vacuum. Chlorine.

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by DesertJon74 View Post
    I had a Whisperflo 1.5 Uprated 2 speed pump installed recently to replace an older Max-e-glas 2 HP full rated.
    Did you mean the opposite? A 1.5 HP uprated pump is the same as a 1 HP full rated pump, not a 2 HP full rated pump.

Also, when changing pump lines, it isn't 1:1 translation either.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

5. Back To Top    #5

Yes, I mixed that up. Like I said, not an expert. My sig had it right. Whisperflo 1.5 full-rated.

6. Back To Top    #6

Adjusting the cams is mildly annoying, but not really difficult. You just need to be methodical. They talk about adjusting the cams in the manual starting on page 7. There are also a number of videos on YouTubs showing how to do it.

I expect that the actuators need a slight adjustment because the new pump doesn't exactly match the old pump. It should only require a slight teak.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

Is this causing any harm, ie do I need to get this fixed right away or can I leave it be for the time being? I have a lot on my plate right now...

It does seem to be curiously intermittent.

8. Back To Top    #8

It is completely harmless. Well, actually it could cause the PH to go up a little more quickly than usual, assuming the PH tends to go up. But I doubt that will be very significant.