Recommendations for PH automation

Katai

Mar 24, 2012
I'm a bit tired of having to adjust my Ph every other day. My salt generator causes a bit of Ph drift, and adding acid all the time is a bit more than annoying.

I'm sort of looking into some form of Ph automation, but I've come across two: Hasa Ph Adjuster and Pentair Intelliph. The HASA PH Adjuster is far less expensive and looks far more straight forward, but I've never heard of the brand before. Does anyone know if they're any good, or if they even work with salt systems?

Please add your location (City, State or City, Country) to your profile and pool details to your signature as described HERE as it will help us help you.

There are 2 types of systems.
One just adds a certain amount of acid at certain times ... you manually adjust it.
The other has a sensor that tries to determine the pH and adjust the acid output accordingly. I believe these require calibration and may need periodic replacement of the sensor.

I would CERTAINLY stay away from the combo systems that add an ORP sensor that try to automate the chlorine production as well.

I would also not recommend a system that uses dry acid or CO2.

As BK asked, What is your TA and what is the TA of your fill water?
Adjusting this and possibly adding borates could reduce the pH rise rate.

The IntelliPH requires that you own a Pentair SWG.

I've heard mixed reviews of the HASA Ph Adjuster, some people like it, some don't. However, not many people own one, so there isn't that much to go on. I do know that if you have a variable speed pump the HASA Ph Adjuster is probably not a good choice.

If you really need PH automation I recommend using a Stenner pump and a timer (or channel on your automation system) to add acid on a schedule.

Chances are you don't actually need PH automation. Unless you have high TA fill water, it should be possible to balance your levels so that PH rise is not an issue. I have a SWG and it has been a couple of years since I added acid.

After adding borates, I only add acid about once a week. If it wasn't for my high CH fill water, I could leave the PH a lone a lot longer, since it stays pretty solid near 7.5. I just like having it between 7.2 - 7.5 to keep scale from becoming an issue.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.