Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pump is running but no pressure/water

1. Back To Top    #1

South Carolina

Pump is running but no pressure/water

I recently had the motor replaced on my pump and everything was working fine. Two days ago I shut the motor off and switch it to the automatic setting. I noticed today that the pump is running but there is no water running through the filter or lines. Also, there is no pressure. I tried backwashing and I cleaned the skimmer and the pump basket of debris. Could this be a clog in the line? Does it need to be primed (I've never had to prime it before)? Is there anything else I can try?
    17,211 gallon, in-ground, fiberglass, sand filter (Pentair water), Jandy Stealth Pump model SHPM 1.5 HP, pool installed 2007, 2 wheel suction-side pool cleaner.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: Pump is running but no pressure/water

You do need to prime the pump. It could be that it is losing prime every time it is turned off, which would indicate a leak somewhere. It is also possible that this is a one time thing, but that seems less likely.

To prime the pump, open the pump strainer basket, fill it with water, close up the basket making sure the seal is clean and forms a good seal, then turn on the pump and see if it starts working.

The pump can be damaged by running too long without water flow, so it is important that you figure this out.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3
    Tucson, AZ

First, you should never let the pump run for more than a couple minutes without water flowing or you could damage the pump

Can you post up pictures of the equipment pad? There are a few things that could prevent water from moving and show 0 pressure in the filter:
    1. Valves closed on the suction side
    2. Clog on the suction side
    3. Massive air leak on the suction side
    4. Clog between the pump and the filter (not likely).

What happened when you backwashed? Did water come out?
    Is the pump full of water?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Lee County, FL

Just experienced a similar issue. Noticed loose pump canister O-ring during basket cleaning. Left it as-was since it had been working OK.
    Turned on the system after finishing other maintenance, but couldn't achieve pressure / water flow while pump was running. Shut down system.
    Replaced the loose / stretched out O-ring with a new one. Lightly lubed it and cleaned all contact surfaces, screw threads... lubing them as well.
    Turned on pump and all is well again.
    Appreciate this forum so much!

7,000 gallon, IG, concrete aggregate pool, Hayward single-speed pump (SP2807X10) w US Motors electric 1 HP / 3450 rpm motor, Hayward Star Clear Plus filter (C751) w cartridge (CX760RE), Taylor K-2006 test kit, SW FL.