New IG Pool Construction - Austin, TX Area - Pics inside

Jun 27, 2012
Austin, TX
It seems like I joined this forum years ago now when we started looking into getting a new pool. This summer we decided to pull the trigger (I decided after mowing on a 100+ degree day and walking down the street to my neighbors pool to cool down). Our dig started a couple of weeks ago, and according to the pool builder we should be done sometime late Jan/early Feb depending on the weather. We already had some rain delays, so I am anticipating more towards late Feb-ish before it is all said and done.

Picture of how it should look when we are all done
FJkHoSV.png

Faint outline before they started digging
StPo8Cy.jpg

Room for Bobcat, but there was only 4" clearing on each side for excavator
pzCErA2.jpg

Dig has begun
nyufcbk.jpg

Hole in the ground!
4fYRegG.jpg

Same hole in the ground from above. Looks very shallow from here..
bcTtRh3.jpg

Form guys doing their thing
1Sh4rMl.jpg

Form is done!
Rx5k3up.jpg

Bagging and leveling some areas in the pool
QhpiC1N.jpg

Bagging/leveling done. Steel started
AQBOWYD.jpg

Re: New IG Pool Construction - Austin, TX Area

Here you can also see the layering of the ground and a short video of how they had to dig it out.

eVY5kTx.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Looking good. Are you on a hillside or is the camera tilted? If you're on a hillside, what considerations did your PB take into account for the pool?

I tried to hold the camera straigt :p The backyard has some slope to it, so the PB suggested to put the shallow end of the pool closer to the house, and utilize the slope towards the deeper end. We still have to build up some, but the slope does help to negate some of that. The builder is also digging a keyway to enforce the outside wall on the pool. Can't really see it from the pictures but I'll take a picture of it when they are done with the steel. Apparently we have a lifetime warranty on all the concrete so the builder is making sure he doesn't have to fix anything later I guess.

That makes sense on the keyway for the wall. I was thinking how you might mitigate the risk of the pool sliding down the hill and I'm sure that is an important piece of the puzzle.

Looks great. Good luck with your build.

But man, I wouldn't want to be chasing any beach balls that go over the wall. How far down does that hill go?

Haha. It's not as bad as it looks. It's only 15' or so away from the bottom. Maybe 3' height difference. Besides.. I won't be the one playing with the beach ball so whoever loses it can walk into the tall grass and get it.

Looks like Sergio and Greg working in there. Bayside does good work, very meticulous. Do not, and I repeat, do not get too disappointed when you don't hit your completion date!

Haha. That is Sergio and Greg indeed. We aren't really worried about a finish date since we are so far away from swim season. They could spend 4 months for all I care and it would still be finished in time. I think they are scheduled for late jan/early Feb for now. Any time before april/may is fine with me.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Haha. That is Sergio and Greg indeed. We aren't really worried about a finish date since we are so far away from swim season. They could spend 4 months for all I care and it would still be finished in time. I think they are scheduled for late jan/early Feb for now. Any time before april/may is fine with me.

Yep, that's how we looked at it. They just finished up with our pool and we love it. I think the mess in the backyard that had to be made to get to our pool drove me nuts more than the completion date. Sod is laid, all is good now.

Yep, that's how we looked at it. They just finished up with our pool and we love it. I think the mess in the backyard that had to be made to get to our pool drove me nuts more than the completion date. Sod is laid, all is good now.

Yeah I had a landscaper out yesterday to take a look to give me a quote. I figured I will let them do their thing once construction for the pool is getting closer to the end. They finished steel today and are starting plumbing tomorrow so it will be interesting to see the progress.

Please keep the photos coming! The design is interesting.

Yes, the mess in the yard was much more stress than end-date, given the time we have until swim season.

At what temperature can the plastering still be done?

I'm looking for a good landscaper in the Austin area to re-do the backyard. The new pool here plus a stone wall to replace the fence has turned the yard into a moonscape.

Looking good! Can I ask what pool builder you went with? We have decided to pull the trigger as well. YAY! We'e in the process of getting bids. We're in Round Rock.

After being gone for a few weeks for the holidays I finally have some updates/pictures to provide.

Re-bar/plumbing is finished. Here you can kinda-sorta see the keyway they dug to reinforce the outside wall. To the left where the sandbags are laid out for the bar area, you can see the 12" wide/deep trench.
JO5vkoT.jpg

Gunnite has started!
i0kk6Mt.jpg

Gunnite is finished!
0y9Yy3W.jpg

Some more shots of pool after gunnite finished
79QiF74.jpg

CU4NROr.jpg

Nz3XM6U.jpg

Barstools in the pool still in their form
f33IKod.jpg

Me hanging off the outside wall of the pool
Zqv9NeW.jpg

"Finished" spa
ahAk3O9.jpg

Plumbing stub-outs? outside of the pool
HFuuiE5.jpg

Rockwork has started.. leuders first!
Hnm3Ygr.jpg

I think the guys will keep working on the leuders for the next few days so it will be interesting to see. After that it'll be some more rockwork. I'll be home for the next few days so I can post more pictures of the progress as they move along.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.