Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New IG Pool Construction - Austin, TX Area - Pics inside

1. Back To Top    #1

New IG Pool Construction - Austin, TX Area - Pics inside

It seems like I joined this forum years ago now when we started looking into getting a new pool. This summer we decided to pull the trigger (I decided after mowing on a 100+ degree day and walking down the street to my neighbors pool to cool down). Our dig started a couple of weeks ago, and according to the pool builder we should be done sometime late Jan/early Feb depending on the weather. We already had some rain delays, so I am anticipating more towards late Feb-ish before it is all said and done.

Picture of how it should look when we are all done

Faint outline before they started digging

Room for Bobcat, but there was only 4" clearing on each side for excavator

Dig has begun

Hole in the ground!

Same hole in the ground from above. Looks very shallow from here..

Form guys doing their thing

Form is done!

Bagging and leveling some areas in the pool

Bagging/leveling done. Steel started

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New IG Pool Construction - Austin, TX Area

Looking good. Are you on a hillside or is the camera tilted? If you're on a hillside, what considerations did your PB take into account for the pool?

3. Back To Top    #3

Here you can also see the layering of the ground and a short video of how they had to dig it out.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by emil View Post
    Looking good. Are you on a hillside or is the camera tilted? If you're on a hillside, what considerations did your PB take into account for the pool?
    I tried to hold the camera straigt The backyard has some slope to it, so the PB suggested to put the shallow end of the pool closer to the house, and utilize the slope towards the deeper end. We still have to build up some, but the slope does help to negate some of that. The builder is also digging a keyway to enforce the outside wall on the pool. Can't really see it from the pictures but I'll take a picture of it when they are done with the steel. Apparently we have a lifetime warranty on all the concrete so the builder is making sure he doesn't have to fix anything later I guess.

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

That makes sense on the keyway for the wall. I was thinking how you might mitigate the risk of the pool sliding down the hill and I'm sure that is an important piece of the puzzle.
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by bmoreswim View Post
    That makes sense on the keyway for the wall. I was thinking how you might mitigate the risk of the pool sliding down the hill and I'm sure that is an important piece of the puzzle.
    It probably doesn't hurt that most of the pool is sitting in solid rock. Seems like only the top 1' or so is regular soil.

6. Back To Top    #6

Looks great. Good luck with your build.

But man, I wouldn't want to be chasing any beach balls that go over the wall. How far down does that hill go?
    23' x 37' IG 18.5k gallon SWG w/ raised spa, Build Thread -->Here
    Wet Edge® Pearl Matrix®, Hayward® SwimClear™ 525 ft², Hayward® Goldline Controls® PS-8
    4x Hayward® TriStar™ pumps, Paramount PCC2000® ICS, TF-100 w/Speedstir

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by JayBauman View Post
    Looks great. Good luck with your build.

But man, I wouldn't want to be chasing any beach balls that go over the wall. How far down does that hill go?
    Haha. It's not as bad as it looks. It's only 15' or so away from the bottom. Maybe 3' height difference. Besides.. I won't be the one playing with the beach ball so whoever loses it can walk into the tall grass and get it.

8. Back To Top    #8

Nice. The retaining wall built in our backyard has a key foundation, it's a nice sized wall!

9. Back To Top    #9

Looks like Sergio and Greg working in there. Bayside does good work, very meticulous. Do not, and I repeat, do not get too disappointed when you don't hit your completion date!
    Working on it... 33' x 21' Free form IG gunite with a 56 sf sunledge, 3 bubblers, and raised rear wall with 3' water sheer.
    Pebblesheen, leuder coping, and Oklahoma stone in wall.
    2.5 HP Pentair VS pump, Pentair Quad DE filter, Pentair Racer cleaner
    300 Rainbow Chlorinator, O2 Clear Ozone Sanitizer

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by eweberdc View Post
    Looks like Sergio and Greg working in there. Bayside does good work, very meticulous. Do not, and I repeat, do not get too disappointed when you don't hit your completion date!
    Haha. That is Sergio and Greg indeed. We aren't really worried about a finish date since we are so far away from swim season. They could spend 4 months for all I care and it would still be finished in time. I think they are scheduled for late jan/early Feb for now. Any time before april/may is fine with me.

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by holmern View Post
    Haha. That is Sergio and Greg indeed. We aren't really worried about a finish date since we are so far away from swim season. They could spend 4 months for all I care and it would still be finished in time. I think they are scheduled for late jan/early Feb for now. Any time before april/may is fine with me.
    Yep, that's how we looked at it. They just finished up with our pool and we love it. I think the mess in the backyard that had to be made to get to our pool drove me nuts more than the completion date. Sod is laid, all is good now.
    Working on it... 33' x 21' Free form IG gunite with a 56 sf sunledge, 3 bubblers, and raised rear wall with 3' water sheer.

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by eweberdc View Post
    Yep, that's how we looked at it. They just finished up with our pool and we love it. I think the mess in the backyard that had to be made to get to our pool drove me nuts more than the completion date. Sod is laid, all is good now.
    Yeah I had a landscaper out yesterday to take a look to give me a quote. I figured I will let them do their thing once construction for the pool is getting closer to the end. They finished steel today and are starting plumbing tomorrow so it will be interesting to see the progress.

13. Back To Top    #13

Please keep the photos coming! The design is interesting.

Yes, the mess in the yard was much more stress than end-date, given the time we have until swim season.

At what temperature can the plastering still be done?

I'm looking for a good landscaper in the Austin area to re-do the backyard. The new pool here plus a stone wall to replace the fence has turned the yard into a moonscape.

14. Back To Top    #14

Any progress?

15. Back To Top    #15

We have been out of the country for 2 weeks for Christmas. I'll post some progress pics tomorrow. Gunnite is done
    16.000 US Gal. w/Spa; freeform gunite; built 2015ish; Pentair Quad DE filter; 3 HP Pentair VS Pump; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns, 15 Gallon Stenner Tank, 45MHP2 3GPD Pump, Dolphin Triton Pool Cleaner. TF100 Test kit!

16. Back To Top    #16

I like how the wall and coping double as a bar top! Very cool!!
    ~Paul
    19x40 IG including 10' BE, 18,000 gal, plaster, 48 SF DE, 1.5HP pump, AquaPure SWCG, Ozonejoe 30MR, Rockwaterfall, LED light, TF-100 Fill date 11/21/2014
    My ODK Build | My Pool Build | If You're From Texas Vote Here

17. Back To Top    #17

Looking good! Can I ask what pool builder you went with? We have decided to pull the trigger as well. YAY! We'e in the process of getting bids. We're in Round Rock.

18. Back To Top    #18

After being gone for a few weeks for the holidays I finally have some updates/pictures to provide.

Re-bar/plumbing is finished. Here you can kinda-sorta see the keyway they dug to reinforce the outside wall. To the left where the sandbags are laid out for the bar area, you can see the 12" wide/deep trench.

Gunnite has started!

Gunnite is finished!

Some more shots of pool after gunnite finished

Barstools in the pool still in their form

Me hanging off the outside wall of the pool

"Finished" spa

Plumbing stub-outs? outside of the pool

Rockwork has started.. leuders first!

I think the guys will keep working on the leuders for the next few days so it will be interesting to see. After that it'll be some more rockwork. I'll be home for the next few days so I can post more pictures of the progress as they move along.

19. Back To Top    #19

With that view did you consider a vanishing edge?
    ~Paul
    19x40 IG including 10' BE, 18,000 gal, plaster, 48 SF DE, 1.5HP pump, AquaPure SWCG, Ozonejoe 30MR, Rockwaterfall, LED light, TF-100 Fill date 11/21/2014
    My ODK Build | My Pool Build | If You're From Texas Vote Here

20. Back To Top    #20

Quote Originally Posted by Jabooh1 View Post
    With that view did you consider a vanishing edge?
    We thought about it, but ended up going with a traditional style edge/bar setup. If I was going to go with the infinity edge, the project would be a lot costlier than what I had initially budgeted for. It would have been nice though!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast