When Dealing with a "problem"...what to test and how often?

graffster

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 19, 2008
I can see that I'm developing a problem with my pool after the extensive rains this week. I did a full scope of tests on Wednesday. My question: Do I need to retest EVERYTHING, EVERY Day, until we're back at normal?

I'm so afraid of this getting away from me. I don't mind testing as often as needed, but I didn't know if the whole spectrum of tests (TF-100) was needed DAILY while I'm fighting a potential problem.

Thanks,
Kathy

Normally, you only need to test Cl and PH on a daily basis. The others will be weekly and/or monthly, or once a season, once you get an idea of which ones fluctuate and which ones don't.

Cl & PH are the two main ones needed to fight a problem, with Cl being the main one. If you need to determine which one to fix first, almost always choose Cl - unless Ph is 6.8 or below, then raise that up some, then fix CL.

graffster said:
I can see that I'm developing a problem with my pool after the extensive rains this week. I did a full scope of tests on Wednesday. My question: Do I need to retest EVERYTHING, EVERY Day, until we're back at normal?

I'm so afraid of this getting away from me. I don't mind testing as often as needed, but I didn't know if the whole spectrum of tests (TF-100) was needed DAILY while I'm fighting a potential problem.

Thanks,
Kathy

IMHO, what you had this week was worse than what most of us have had in years. I would wait until I got the water level back to normal and then take a full set of reading once. Then, as long as I wasn't adding or draining large amounts of water (and the reading like CYA, CH TA were normal), I would just take chlorine and PH reading daily until I got back to normal. If you have to work on anything like CYA or others, I would use the pool calculator and when I thought I was back to normal, take another reading of that. Like if the CYA was 20ppm and you added more, wait six or seven days, then take another CYA reading.

You might want to raise your FC up some to fight any problem you have.

How much rain did you get?

Thanks, guys!

Hotrod: I think our total rain in our area of SW Fla was 6" or so. (The funny thing is we've gotten more from Fay after she moved to the North part of the state than when she actually blew through here!) But our 6" is nothing compared to what she dumped on other parts of the state! :shock:

I did the Taylor K-1000 this morning: Chlorine measured about a 2 and pH between 7.5 and 7.8.
So I did a FC test from the TF-100: FC and TC are 4.5.

I'm still fishing leaves out, and I am seeing a greenish tint, though that could be more dirt than anything.

I've got a 40# bag of salt to add, and a bottle of liquid chlorine. Should I go put those in?

Don't want my own fishin' pond out back!

Thanks,
Kathy

We've had at least 6" to 8" of rain in the last several days as well, without a tropical storm. I was just about through getting rid of a algea problem that started getting bad a week ago. I have pumped the pool down 3 times in the last week and believe it or not the pool is very clear this morning. The FC has held the last couple of nights so I believe I'm through finally. Now, if the remnants of Fay stay clear of us we should be in good shape.

I would add the needed salt to the pool and then tonight bring the pool FC up to the value on the Chlorine/CYA chart. All the while keeping the pump and filter running.

category/pool-school/chlorine_cya_chart_shock

Because you see a hint of green or dirt in the pool, it won't hurt. You might as well hit now instead of waiting to see if it is algae.

Also, tomorrow morning or tonight after you added the extra chlorine, give the pool a good brushing.

newnick said:
We've had at least 6" to 8" of rain in the last several days as well, without a tropical storm. I was just about through getting rid of a algea problem that started getting bad a week ago. I have pumped the pool down 3 times in the last week and believe it or not the pool is very clear this morning. The FC has held the last couple of nights so I believe I'm through finally. Now, if the remnants of Fay stay clear of us we should be in good shape.

newnick ... Just take a set of readings and keep on top of the pool results. Because you wasted somuch water, your reading like CYA CH TA should be lower.

I'd been shocking for several days so the CH took a little hit, but not much, got it back up.
TA still at 80 ppm, CYA I just added some on Mon. so I lost some of it, I'm sure.
PH is good too, was a little high while shocking but I didn't move on it because I was shocking.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.