• I delegate my sample swirling to a Speedstir

38 71.70%
  • I swirl my own samples

15 28.30%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Let's stir up some discussion

1. Back To Top    #1

Let's stir up some discussion

For some time, I have been tossing around the idea of getting a Taylor 9265 - Magnetic stirrer; better known as the renowned Speedstir. The main time I seem to be wanting it is when I perform the CH test b/c my pool has a relatively high CH (latest CH 1000; just b/c some may wonder what my #s are: pH 7.5, FC 7.5, CC 0, TA 60, CYA 50, temp = 57; my water is balanced per Pool Math and CSI is inline). Thus, I am sitting swirling for some time. Not to mention, occasionally I have lost count of how many drops of reagent I have added, and also had a hard time distinguishing when the water sample color stops changing blue. Thus, sometimes I have added reagent and gotten to my supposed stop point, only to add more reagent and the color continues to change. My thinking is that with a Speedstir, I can more easily focus on the color change vs. managing swirling, counting, and detecting color change.

If you have a Speedstir, please weigh in here on how you like it and how it has helped you.

Edit: Sorry about that 0 at the end of samples in the poll. I don't know how to edit the poll and delete that typo.
    Fixed. JasonLion
    19k gal IG plaster, built '70s, probably resurfaced in '80s-'90s; Blue Haven Hayward filter C4520BHMB (Filbur FC-1275 cartridges); Hayward MaxFlo sp2302 VSP 1.5hp; 6 solar panels 288. sq. ft. total (142"x47.5" ea.) on 1 story hm; Pentair Compool LX220 Solar Controller; FlowVis flow meter; Maytronics Dolphin S200; AG 300 gal AquaTerra spa; TF-100 & Speedstir; gone: Pentair Challenger 3/4 HP 1 speed; Polaris 280

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Let's stir up some discussion

The greatest...
    13,000 Gal Pool & Spa
    Jandy Automation /w IAqualink
    Autopilot SWG
    Jandy 2.0 HP VSP, Filter Cartridge
    Taylor (FAS-DPD K-2600, Pool Surface: Plaster

3. Back To Top    #3

I never test without it. SpeedStir fanboy here.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

4. Back To Top    #4

Speedstir since day one! Makes the mixing consistent.
    J.R.

20K IG gunnite pool
    2HP Hayward single speed pump
    Cartridge filter

5. Back To Top    #5

Must have!
    Inground 22k gallon gunite 15x31 main pool, 15x7 wading pool/sunning deck, hot tub/with overflow (9' octagon with limestone top) & slide NSWG, Aqua Blue Pebble Sheen
    Filter dual cartridge Sta-rite 450sq/ft, TF-100 Test Kit
    Heater Raypak 2100 400k btu cupro-nickel exchanger
    Auto pool cover, Polaris 280 auto pool cleaner, Jandy AqualinkRS8 Remote Control System

6. Back To Top    #6

You mean there's a way to manually mix. Is that like changing channels on the tv without the remote.
    Screen enclosed 17K gal 16x30 IG with Diamond Brite finish, elevated 4 jet spa with spill over, Twin dolphin fountain, Hayward Ecostar pump[ Pentair intelliflo VS, Filter Sta rite Posi-Flo PTM 100, Aqua Cal heat pump, Tiger Shark QC robotic cleaner.
    Stenner peristaltic pump model 45MPHP10, 15 gal storage tank. TF 100 with Speed Stir.

7. Back To Top    #7

Speed stir
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

8. Back To Top    #8

I am a self swirl vote. Since I found this site I don't do the CH test anymore since we have a vinyl pool otherwise I would consider it. That test does take a lot of mixing. I have gotten pretty good at swirling with one hand and dropping with the other for the chlorine test so bothering to get it out to do the test would be more work than testing without it. But if I had to do the CH test regularly I would consider it for that test and I've never tested that with it higher than 120.
    20,000gal in-ground 16x36 sentry pools vinyl liner, Pentair sand filter, Pentair minimax NT heater, auto-cover, Polaris 280 cleaner.

9. Back To Top    #9

CH and salt only. Or on a retest if I've got a result that is real wonky and I suspect it's my count or technique.
    13,000 gal.Peanut shaped IG Plaster (med. gray) w/ 7' raised spa. ALL Pentair: Intelliflow 3hp VS, Cartridge filter, 400,000 btu heater, 2.0hp spa motor, Easy Touch control panel & is4 spa side switch, Intellichlor 40C SWG, Paramount PV3 In Floor cleaning system, spa spillway and two sheer descents. Solar: 10 FAFCO panels 1.5hp booster. Testt kits: K-2006 & K1766 (Chloride/Salt) Fill date August 15, 2114.

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by mikespoolfl View Post
    You mean there's a way to manually mix. Is that like changing channels on the tv without the remote.
    That got a great laugh. Tx Mikespoolfl!
    19k gal IG plaster, built '70s, probably resurfaced in '80s-'90s; Blue Haven Hayward filter C4520BHMB (Filbur FC-1275 cartridges); Hayward MaxFlo sp2302 VSP 1.5hp; 6 solar panels 288. sq. ft. total (142"x47.5" ea.) on 1 story hm; Pentair Compool LX220 Solar Controller; FlowVis flow meter; Maytronics Dolphin S200; AG 300 gal AquaTerra spa; TF-100 & Speedstir; gone: Pentair Challenger 3/4 HP 1 speed; Polaris 280

11. Back To Top    #11

I swirl manually, but I'm usually only testing pH and chlorine so it's really only the FAS-DPD test where any mixing is done while adding drops. If I needed to test CH regularly, I'd more strongly consider the SpeedStir.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

12. Back To Top    #12

I like the speed stir because it obviously makes the stirring easier but also because of the built in LED light. I find that I have gotten more consistent results because of the consistent lighting.
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    15K Gallons, IG, Vinyl, 1HP Single Speed Pump, Sand, SWG, NG Heater + Solar Panels

13. Back To Top    #13

Once I tested TA, and it was 220, I said that was the last time. Ordered on that evening. It is well worth the money.
    ~Matt~ Radiant Metric 24'x52" 14k- built into a slope. CircuPool Si-30 SWCG. Jandy 200 SqFt cartridge filter. Pentair Optiflow 2-speed 1HP pump. Wanda the Whale. TF-100 Test Kit. Hard Plumbed.
    My Build w/ lots of pics

14. Back To Top    #14

Magnetic stirrers all the way, baby!

I have spent a substantial part of my professional life working in chemical laboratories. There's a reason we always use magnetic stir bars when doing titrations (actually, there are probably lots of reasons, now that I think about it), so it would never occur to me to do my own mixing. I'm only disappointed that the SpeedStir is run off a pair of AA batteries instead of plugging into my wall at 110V....or even better yet: plugging into my pool equipment service at 220V!! More power, baby!!!

23' x 37' IG 18.5k gallon SWG w/ raised spa, Build Thread -->Here
    Wet Edge® Pearl Matrix®, Hayward® SwimClear™ 525 ft², Hayward® Goldline Controls® PS-8
    4x Hayward® TriStar™ pumps, Paramount PCC2000® ICS, TF-100 w/Speedstir

15. Back To Top    #15

Use SpeedStir for TA and CH. The way to go for those 2 tests.
    21K gal 16' x 40' in-ground pool built 1959, old school with Jacuzzi bronze pump, American Products 24" Sand Filter & Americana Multiport valve, Jandy Lite2 millivolt heater, Coverstar cover, and classic Kreepy Krauly.

16. Back To Top    #16

I voted no just because I dont have one.

When I ordered my TF100, I was still new. I saw it on the tftestkit site, but passed with the consideration that it was just another pool gadget to suck more Federal Reserve notes from my already thread bare wallet.
    Now that Ive been around a while, I have changed my mind. My next reorder of regents will include this contraption.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

17. Back To Top    #17

SpeedStir! I swirled manually for the first several months, but since I usually test at night I found that having the bright LED light really helped get accurate results (in the absence of sunlight). Plus it's faster and makes it look like I'm some kind of hyper-trained pool chemist.
    30X40' free-form gunite/plaster pool, 4-8' deep with flagstone beach entry, gunite "rock" retaining wall with multiple small waterfalls/planters, grotto/slide/waterfall combo, 18" raised spa with waterfall into pool

18. Back To Top    #18

Personally, vinyl pool with low CYA, low TA, stable pH. No need for me to spend the bucks right now allowing me to keep the cooler full of the good stuff!

19. Back To Top    #19

I haven't seen the need for it. A quick swirl of the tube and you're done. Also, if you know about where you're at, you can add drops to get close to that in larger increments, swirl to mix, add more drops in smaller increments, etc. there nothing wrong with speed stir but it isn't needed for accuracy.
    Central TX / 12K GAL / IG / SWG / DE filter / Pentair SVRS & 3 swim jet pumps / Spa bench and jets / Single body of water / No heater.

20. Back To Top    #20

I haven't seen the need for it either. For me, it is pretty easy to mix the reagents by hand.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast