Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Rust stains on the bottom of pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Rust stains on the bottom of pool

I noticed a few rust stains a few months back. I thought my husband sprayed some fertilizer pellets in the pool. The spots look about a 1/4 inch in diameter. Now I notice more closer to the main drain, and we have not spread any fertilizer. I have tried brushing, but this did not help. Any thoughts what this could be

Test results today
    FC 3.4
    CC 0
    PH 7.8
    TA 70
    CH 270
    CYA 50
    Borates 50

I have been using 10% bleach in case this has any impact
    2009 19k, IG, Quartzscape negative edge w/waterfall, 8' raised spa w/waterfall ,Pentair WF28 2hp, Jandy 1.5hp pump for water fall feature, Polaris 280 cleaner with booster pump,400,000 Jandy LXI heater, Jandy DE 60 filter.

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Rust stains on the bottom of pool

Thanks for posting your test results.

I think my first step would be to positively identify the stains as iron. Do you know to crush up vitamin C tabs, put them in a sock and then sink it down to be placed directly on the stain for five minutes or so. If the stain comes off or is very noticeably removed, it is an iron stain.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks, I will try that.
    2009 19k, IG, Quartzscape negative edge w/waterfall, 8' raised spa w/waterfall ,Pentair WF28 2hp, Jandy 1.5hp pump for water fall feature, Polaris 280 cleaner with booster pump,400,000 Jandy LXI heater, Jandy DE 60 filter.

4. Back To Top    #4

I put a bunch of Vitamin C in a knee-high stocking with some clean river rocks and tied a string to it, then tossed it in. It's easy to shove it around with the brush and fish it out later.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!