max e therm cycling

reyrey

Aug 23, 2013
cucamonga, calif
max e therm

reyrey here, my max e therm is cycling once temp reaches 92 deg.it will sputter 1st then 1 minute goes by and burner goes off and comes back on.this will occur 2 more times until heater goes off and service light goes on. can some one help me sort through the possible part that has failed. my only guess is HLS. is this common with max e therm problem. thanks, rey

Re: max e therm

When it finally stops and the service heater light is lit, leave it turned on and remove the covers and then the dome top, flip it over and see if there is an LED lit other than the service one.

Re: max e therm

hello paul, my max e therm is cycling again however , this time it will heat to 104 deg. the intervals are 1 minute apart. I found a piece of filter grid stuck in the regulator and removed it but it still cycles. any thoughts? best regards rey

Topics merged. Please keep everything relating to one question/project/issue together in one place. Thanks JasonLion

hello TFP members, im having trouble with max e therm heater. it does heat to 104 but cycles most of the way. the intervals are 1 minute or so apart. I found the flow regulator with plastic stuck inside and removed it, however it still cycles. any ideas?

If that's the case, you probably have a broken bypass then. System is them heating up and cooling off. Where you took out the regulator, up top of that inside is the bypass. Feels like a round disk. If you don't feel that, then that's your problem.

I just experienced the same problem as the OP had. 4 year old heater cycling with the HLS led lit during the off cycle. Pulled the thermal regulator and found corroded and would not open when put in boiling water test. No one had the part locally, so ordered online, replaced and the heater is working perfectly!

I am going to order a couple more as I believe my salt pool contributes to premature failure. I guess I should expect 3-4 years out of the regulator.

A question to the experts then... Would it be a good idea to bypass my heater when I know I'm not going to be using the heater for a few weeks period of time? Could I prolong the life of all the parts coming into contact with the salt water by doing this? I'm only getting about 18 months life of the external safety pressure relief valve due to the corrosion.

Thank you so much to the experts here for assisting me in solving my heater problem so quickly & efficiently. You guys ROCK !!!

Brian

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.