Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Salt Water chlorinate voltage

1. Back To Top    #1

Salt Water chlorinate voltage

I am having difficulty with Saltmaster Nh 4000 S chlorinator / cell. Pool tends to keep going green although my ph,free chlorine, alkalinity and stabiliser levers are ok. I Cannot get the chlorine output level indicator past 50%. ( winter level ) it is now Summer here in Australia. Cleaned all electrical connections at cell. I measure 9 volts coming out of transformer but only 3 volts at cell the voltage drops at the heat sink , is this amount of drop correct. The black lead/ plug at the cell gets rather hot pretty quickly, bubble test with cell in a bucket of salt water looks ok. Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Salt Water chlorinate voltage

Welcome to TFP!

If a wire or connection is getting obviously hot there is some kind of bad connection, either in the wire or in the connector. SWGs are high current, so it doesn't take all that much to cause a bad connection Just a little corrosion or dirt will mess things up.

All of the voltages you mention are quite a bit lower than what I would expect, however I am not familiar with the designs common in Australia other than knowing that they are different from what is common here in the US. It is common to see a significant voltage drop between the transformer and the cell, but what you describe is more extreme than I would expect. This likely goes back to the bad connection/wire, which could easily cause some additional unwanted voltage drop.

Being limited to 50% also fits with some extra/unexpected voltage drop.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

a quick search for saltmaster seems to show that it should be around 7.5 volts so your numbers may be correct. It also seemed to say that if you can't get up to 100% chlorination, your salt may be too low.
    8000 gal diamond brite pool with 650 gal spillover spa, Pentair 3hp VS pump. Jandy Cartridge filter and Jandy Heat Pump. Jandy PDA automation system with 2 Pentair Laminars. SmartPool NC74S Robotic Pool Cleaner.

4. Back To Top    #4

Note that salt too low will give the same symptoms as a loose/bad connection.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

is the "Low Salt" LED on? if not then measure across the bridge rectifier you should have a 2 volt drop from the voltage going into the rectifier from the txr to what comes out to the cell, if not then i would suspect the rectifier has gone. If the LED is on and salt level is correct then i would be looking at a new cell.
    16,000lts Fibreglass, Magna Mineral Pool Water
    Jandy CV340 Cartridge filter, Zodiac TRi SWC, Z4 iAqualink, Jandy Laminar Jets, Solar Heating, Spa Jets with Jandy 1.5hp Epump operating everything.