Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Come on, rain!

1. Back To Top    #1

Come on, rain!

This big Pineapple Express storm is supposed to dump a couple inches of rain here in the wee hours of the morning. Free, Calcium-free water.

Partial drain is in progress to make some room for it. All I can say is, they better not be lying to me!
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Come on, rain!

I'm right down the road from you.... and I was waiting for the rain so I could do the same thing. My pool is currently 1" from the bottom of the coping from our last dose of rain. I decided to run a full run of tests and found everything at the correct levels, so I'll just let the overfill line take care of any extra water we get. CH is still kinda high at 490-500, but its been that way for over a year now, so I'm not really worried about it. I manage it pretty well by keeping my PH at 7.2-7.5. After the Borates, my PH has been pretty rock solid at 7.5, so the four gallons I get of Muriatic acid is lasting me about 2 months.

Tests:
    FC = 9.0
    TC = 9.0
    CC = 0.0
    CH = 490-500
    Salt = 3600
    PH = 7.5
    CYA = didn't test because sun was already down.
    Borates = 50
    Pool done!! (backyard = work in progress) 32' x 19' inground freeform with 7' spa, baja step w/ (2) bubblers, stonescapes mini pebble finish, rock waterfall feature, 12" raised bond beam, Intelliflo VS, Whisperflo feature pump, (3) 5G Color LED's, FNS + DE 60, 400K Master Temp, Easytouch 8 w/ remote, Intellichlor IC40, Vision Classic Ceramic Kamado smoker, Margaritaville DM1000!!! Party Coming Soon!!
    TF-100 Test Kit w/ Speedstir

3. Back To Top    #3

I took 3+ inches out last evening before the storm rolled through today to do the same. Plus I dropped pH hoping to take advantage of the aeration. Rain started about twelve hours ago and it hasn't stopped. Almost back to the overflow where I started. Test results? I'm not going out there
    13,000 gal.Peanut shaped IG Plaster (med. gray) w/ 7' raised spa. ALL Pentair: Intelliflow 3hp VS, Cartridge filter, 400,000 btu heater, 2.0hp spa motor, Easy Touch control panel & is4 spa side switch, Intellichlor 40C SWG, Paramount PV3 In Floor cleaning system, spa spillway and two sheer descents. Solar: 10 FAFCO panels 1.5hp booster. Testt kits: K-2006 & K1766 (Chloride/Salt) Fill date August 15, 2114.

4. Back To Top    #4

I've been trying to do this here in the DFW area for weeks. Have had to add 650 gallons over the past 30 days.
    14K Freeform Gunite w/60% Blue Quartz plaster, Quad DE filter, Intelliflo VS Pump + Booster for Cleaner, Aquacal Heat Pump

5. Back To Top    #5

Man it's been dumping here all night and I'm trying to bring my levels up!
    Ph 7.4
    Fc 4.5
    Ta 90
    Ch 175
    Cya 35-40
    About ready to switch over to the swg soon as I can bring levels up.
    -Jimbo- My pool was full of dirt and trees. Now it's full of water and children!
    20k gallon inground pool, 18" raised spa 7' round, 8 jets, 3" spa plumbing. Pentair intelliflo 3hp vsp, Easy touch 4 w/ ic 40, CCP 420 cartridge filter, Raypak 407a w/ cupro nickel, Screen logic 2, Pentair intelliph, spa side remote, Pentair 5g color lights pool and spa, TF-100 test kit with speed stir and Dolphin Oasis Z5

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by zethacat View Post
    I've been trying to do this here in the DFW area for weeks. Have had to add 650 gallons over the past 30 days.
    I was going to ask you Zetha about your water loss this winter. Obviously with my new pool I'm still get used to her wants and needs. Even with cloudy days and not running the waterfall, so far I've had to add a 1/2 in of water in the 2 weeks or so since it's been filled and looks like I'll need to add just a tad bit more in about another week. However, we are getting a little rain today and maybe more this Sunday.

So I assume water loss in the winter via evaporation is normal as well.
    Done! Pool build thread here
    38 x 18 free form, IG gunite with all gunite waterfall/slide/grotto
    18" raised spa, waterfall into pool
    Hayward 3hp Tri Star Pump x 3, 525sqft Swimclear filter, Polaris 280 cleaner
    Hayward LED pool lights, Hayward LED accent lights, 400K BTU Heater

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Twolabs View Post
    I was going to ask you Zetha about your water loss this winter. Obviously with my new pool I'm still get used to her wants and needs. Even with cloudy days and not running the waterfall, so far I've had to add a 1/2 in of water in the 2 weeks or so since it's been filled and looks like I'll need to add just a tad bit more in about another week. However, we are getting a little rain today and maybe more this Sunday.

So I assume water loss in the winter via evaporation is normal as well.
    My experience is that evaporation is more wind than temperature related.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

8. Back To Top    #8

Glad I didn't spring for the infinity edge!
    Pool done!! (backyard = work in progress) 32' x 19' inground freeform with 7' spa, baja step w/ (2) bubblers, stonescapes mini pebble finish, rock waterfall feature, 12" raised bond beam, Intelliflo VS, Whisperflo feature pump, (3) 5G Color LED's, FNS + DE 60, 400K Master Temp, Easytouch 8 w/ remote, Intellichlor IC40, Vision Classic Ceramic Kamado smoker, Margaritaville DM1000!!! Party Coming Soon!!
    TF-100 Test Kit w/ Speedstir

9. Back To Top    #9

Not much finger crossing needed for rain here. 7th wettest December on record. Able to perform six partial drains and drop CH from 500 to 325. Amazing how much water my cover pump has moved.
    21K gal 16' x 40' in-ground pool built 1959, old school with Jacuzzi bronze pump, American Products 24" Sand Filter & Americana Multiport valve, Jandy Lite2 millivolt heater, Coverstar cover, and classic Kreepy Krauly.

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by Killer95Stang View Post
    Glad I didn't spring for the infinity edge!
    What a beautiful setting. Love all the green. - Karen
    New in 2017, will update

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by RangerBob View Post
    What a beautiful setting. Love all the green. - Karen
    It does look good ! I remember stang's build and the wall in the background was totally bare. Has come along way for the positive !
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

12. Back To Top    #12

We've had several days of on/off rain here. Several sessions of heavy rains for 12+ hours. It hasn't affected my chemistry much as I've been during some let-ups. Overfill drain has been working <G>
    Central TX / 12K GAL / IG / SWG / DE filter / Pentair SVRS & 3 swim jet pumps / Spa bench and jets / Single body of water / No heater.

13. Back To Top    #13

Got about 2" over the last few weeks. Helps lower the CH but other items don't seem to be affected much.
    ~Paul
    19x40 IG including 10' BE, 18,000 gal, plaster, 48 SF DE, 1.5HP pump, AquaPure SWCG, Ozonejoe 30MR, Rockwaterfall, LED light, TF-100 Fill date 11/21/2014
    My ODK Build | My Pool Build | If You're From Texas Vote Here