Need assistance replacing valve in tight spot

Jul 19, 2014
Durham NC
My pump lost prime and went undetected long enough to cause damage from the heat. The outlet side has already been repaired. The pump itself is now working as expected, but the 3-way valve pre-pump is so distorted from the heat that it needs to be replaced along with the connection to the pump. The problem I am running into is that the plumbing is very tight. Here is a picture:
Valve_Circle.jpg

Does anyone have any recommendations on how to replace the 3-way valve based on this tight area? Also, is there a fitting that can be used to attached to the pump that will allow it to be unscrewed if work is needed on the pump in the future?

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!

Looks like you are another victim of the builders thinking they are doing you a favor by having all fittings and no exposed pipe. I am not exactly sure what to suggest that will not require replacing lots of valves.

I will say that you should add a union (like in the bottom right of your picture) between the valve and the pump and that will allow you to remove the pump.

Wow that looks tough. Are those Jandy valves? Some Jandy valves you can glue on the OD or the ID. If that valve circled is a Jandy, maybe you could cut through the grey connector part, and then use the OD of that to glue and adaptor on? Then move an elbow up to your new valve, and you'd have to put a new check valve in, unless there is exposed PVC behind the circled valve I don't see.

You are correct that those are Jandy valves. Unfortunately there isn't any exposed PVC behind the circled valve. I am intrigued by the idea of cutting of the valve (leaving the gray parts on both sides) and attempting to use a larger diameter valve (would need to reduce it prior to the pump then since that side cannot be reused).

I bought a 2" bit reamer and cut flush to the pvc side then reamed out the stub...worked great...you do have to use an electric drill...
671051806bd6065ba011f7cb37144427.jpg

b746b0f7b4325ed7d7f13bbbe5b86b8f.jpg

Great advice Boston that's what I have done on jobs like this. Another option is to use 2.5 coupling with a 2.5 x 2 bushing into th pump. A tee and 90s and go over the top of the check valve and skimmer/md valves. This would require more plumbing but an option if Boston's advice does not work.

I always marvel at this when I see it, and it's on more set ups than not. I suppose they just imagine it will never have to be them repairing it.

Which, is probaly the case the majority of the time. Sounds like you got some good suggestions to avoid cutting up the whole thing.

If you cut the pipe flush with the three existing valves, you can use 2.5" fittings to make a new manifold. You could use a 2 x 2.5" or a 2.5 x 3" Jandy three way valve to go into the pump. If you use a 2 x 2.5" valve, you might need to move the pump over a bit, but that looks like it would be doable.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks to all of the wonderful advice I received here I was able to get the valve replaced successfully. I ended up ordering a 2" reamer bit from Amazon. It is made by Reed and is part PPR200. I removed the fence so that I had more room for the job.

Here is what it looked like with the 3-way valve removed:
Removed.jpg

I was able to move the pump slightly and put a union in front of the pump. Here is what is looked like after the job:
Fixed.jpg

Nice work. Only thing to note is that you did not use a schedule 40 90 fitting so it is not as strong. Hopefully will not be a problem on the suction side.

I was looking at that too. The 90 on the left is a dwv 90 fitting so not pressure rated. I've read of people using them for many years without issue, so because it's a difficult replacement location, I would leave it as is, but keep and eye on it.

Thanks to all of the wonderful advice I received here I was able to get the valve replaced successfully. I ended up ordering a 2" reamer bit from Amazon. It is made by Reed and is part PPR200. I removed the fence so that I had more room for the job.

Here is what it looked like with the 3-way valve removed:
View attachment 33932

I was able to move the pump slightly and put a union in front of the pump. Here is what is looked like after the job:
View attachment 33933

Nice job.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.