Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: One question about Filter pressure gauge.

1. Back To Top    #1

One question about Filter pressure gauge.

I installed a Hayward De6020 filter with 1hp pump. I'm only like 25ft away from the pool now compared to 70ft that i was before. My pool has 2 suction pipe 1 from the skimmer and i new one i made from the main drain everything with 2 inch pipe. then from pump to filter and from filter to 4 returns in the pool. I also connect my other 2 returns that were disconnected before. so i have a total of 6 returns. <---- i think this may be my problem but I'm just asking in case im wrong. The pressure gauge on my filter is showing 0-2 psi. but the returns in the pool have enough pressure. So I'm confused if this is normal. The original filter gauge broke so i bought a new one at pinch a penny and they gave me a oil pressure gauge. It looks like it has water inside. Please help and sorry for asking so many questions.
    Rectangular pool 32x18 with approximately 17k gallons w/ 1hp pump and Hayward DE 6020 Filter.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: One question about Filter pressure gauge.

Can you be more specific about your pump and motor?

With a large filter and 2 suction lines and now 6 returns with a smaller pump, you have a low head loss system so the pressure may be lower. Although 0-2psi seems a little too low to me. I only see that low if I am running the pump on low speed with a clean filter.

If the flow of the returns is good, then there is not real issue. The glycerin gauges are better, but you may not get good accuracy if it is a 0-60psi gauge. Sounds like a 0-30psi like sold at tftestkit.net might help to get a better read.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

This is my setup so far. About the pump i only know that is a 1hp and the suction is really good and there is no air bubble. I did notice tho that if i shut down 2 of my returns it will go up to 5psi
    Rectangular pool 32x18 with approximately 17k gallons w/ 1hp pump and Hayward DE 6020 Filter.

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

0-2 psi on a single speed pump doesn't sound right. What was the psi before your old gauge broke.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

It was 10 psi but it only had 1 suction pipe and 1 return pipe. I added 1 more suction from the main and 2 more returns. so today i installed the new gauge and test my system and doesn't go above 2psi with all suctions and return on.

6. Back To Top    #6

I explained wrong i meant before there were 4 returns connected to 1 - 2inch pipe. now i have 6 returns 4 that i had in 1 pipe and 2 extra in a new 2" pipe.

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

If the flow is adequate at the returns into the pool as you say, I would not worry about anything although I still think your psi gauge is wrong.
    Dave S.

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Guide

Adding an extra suction line should make it easier for the pump to get water to push and would allow more volume IF the single pipe was restricting supply. So adding an extra suction line would possibly allow the pump to push more water and that would raise pressure.

Adding back in the two extra returns would make it easier for the pump to push water to the pool but you already had four returns so the extra two shouldn't be that big a difference. That and you said if you closed them you only went back up to 5psi when before you were usually around 10. I think you have an inaccurate gauge. I would highly recommend getting a new gauge and a quality one at that. The price savings aren't that much.

If you get a glycerin filled gauge I do recommend making sure it's covered. My equipment is out in the open and after a few months I noticed my glycerin started to get a little dark. I cover it with a drink cup now.

I went with the TFTestkits gauge after my cheap gauge made it a year and seized. http://tftestkits.net/Pressure-Gauge...Mount-p77.html
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. ? too cold
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on, become a TFP Supporter!

9. Back To Top    #9

guys the gauge they gave me on pinch a penny was 100psi will this maybe y problem?

10. Back To Top    #10

TFP Guide

That's just way too high to be very accurate. You need something more 0-30

With a meter or gauge it's usually more accurate if the range you are reading is in the middle.
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. ? too cold
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on, become a TFP Supporter!

11. Back To Top    #11

Ok I'm going to return this one and get a 30psi gauge i be back with results.

12. Back To Top    #12

0-100 is just silly. Pool equipment is designed for 50psi, and the pumps can not even achieve that. I agree that a 0-30psi (that has 1/2 psi tick marks) is what most pools should be using.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

13. Back To Top    #13

This is the reading i get with this gauge on my new setup? You guys thing this may be the problem?
    Attached Images Attached Images

14. Back To Top    #14

Get a gauge that is correct for this application. There are only 7 tick marks below the 10psi line ... so I think that might be 5psi. If that is right, then you would want to backwash at 6psi (a 20-25% rise) and differentiating this on that scale does not work ... assuming it is even accurate that low.

Order one of these (click the gauge for a link):
    Jason, TFP Moderator

15. Back To Top    #15

can i use a regular 30psi gauge? like from auto part? or home depot. problem is i need one asap

16. Back To Top    #16

I'm sure any local pool store will have one for you if you need it in a jiffy. Just might pay a bit more.
    14K Freeform Gunite w/60% Blue Quartz plaster, Quad DE filter, Intelliflo VS Pump + Booster for Cleaner, Aquacal Heat Pump

17. Back To Top    #17

In the Industry

A local pool store is likely not to have a glycerin filled gauge but maybe a cheap, air-filled gauge.

Not sure why you need it in a hurry but I would suggest getting a glycerin filled gauge with a 0-30 scale. (that's my link in jblizzle's post above)

I obviously have some agenda, but, I promise, selling that gauge is not going to allow me to rub shoulders with Bill Gates but it will make you far happier to pay the extra money and get glycerin filled.......they're just better.

It'll ship tomorrow if you order tomorrow and be to you by Monday/Tuesday.
    Dave S.

18. Back To Top    #18

I agree with Dave, there is not big urgency on this. Ordering a good one is likely the same cost as a junk one locally.

Need any test kit refills while you are ordering to save on shipping cost?
    Jason, TFP Moderator

19. Back To Top    #19

one more question can air leak in the filter side cause this issue? It makes sounds like it has air inside but when i open the air valve and only water comes out.

20. Back To Top    #20

How did i end up with DE on my pool if it is showing no sign of been sent throw the return lines? but i do see it on my pump when i start up the pump it turns white inside then clear and i do notice it on my main drain in pool too. help please.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast