LifeTime Supporter
Apr 14, 2014
Highland Village, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Well, for nearly 20 years I have been chasing high ph and high TA levels. Today I decided to test the tap water and found the following: ph = 8.0+ and TA = 250. Why did I wait 20 years to do this test. Now when I do my daily tests I understand why the ph and TA creep up. I guess I will start keeping the ph at the low end of recommended levels instead of at the mid-range.

One problem is that the pH rises faster the lower you start. So you may find that it will rise from 7.2 to 7.5 faster than from say 7.5 to 7.8.

But with the higher TA, you may need to keep the pH a little lower to keep the water balanced.

I am struggling to get my TA below 130 but my index stays around -.24. The pool water is very clear and has been since I started the TFP method last Feb. I do check the pool each day and have to add acid about 2x per week.

With high TA fill water, trying to maintain a lower TA in your pool is a futile effort. Looks like you could maintain the pH a little higher and still have a reasonable CSI.

BTW, the ph and TA have basically nothing to do with maintaining clear water. It is the CYA and FC balance that keeps the water clear.

I live in Houston as well (Memorial area) and the TA of my fill water is about the same as yours. I try very hard to let rain water fill up my pool but I still have to use tap water occasionally. I've gotten my TA down to the 60-70 range and it helps with the pH rise. I have a SWCG and I still have to add about a quart of MA every two weeks or so to keep my CSI around zero or slightly negative.

What is your CH? Mine stays in the high 400s but my fill water is around 150 so it too rises just like TA.

I am a noob but this doesn't sound normal. What causes CH to rise on its own beside corroding plaster or hard fill water? If your CSI is near zero, this should not be happening. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Water evaporates, leaves the CH behind. Add tap water and you are adding more CH. Only way for the CH to NOT rise is if you were replacing evaporated water with fill water that had 0ppm CH (like rain water).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.