Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Chasing ph

1. Back To Top    #1

Chasing ph

Well, for nearly 20 years I have been chasing high ph and high TA levels. Today I decided to test the tap water and found the following: ph = 8.0+ and TA = 250. Why did I wait 20 years to do this test. Now when I do my daily tests I understand why the ph and TA creep up. I guess I will start keeping the ph at the low end of recommended levels instead of at the mid-range.
    16,400 gallon
    Cartridge Filter
    IG
    Plaster
    Intelli-Flo @ 2000rpm

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Chasing ph

One problem is that the pH rises faster the lower you start. So you may find that it will rise from 7.2 to 7.5 faster than from say 7.5 to 7.8.

But with the higher TA, you may need to keep the pH a little lower to keep the water balanced.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

I am struggling to get my TA below 130 but my index stays around -.24. The pool water is very clear and has been since I started the TFP method last Feb. I do check the pool each day and have to add acid about 2x per week.
    16,400 gallon
    Cartridge Filter
    IG
    Plaster
    Intelli-Flo @ 2000rpm

4. Back To Top    #4

-.24 is perfectly safe. It sounds like you are a TFP pro. As to why you waited so long to test your tap water.... we may have to use a mind probe on you in order to figure that one out.
    14K Freeform Gunite w/60% Blue Quartz plaster, Quad DE filter, Intelliflo VS Pump + Booster for Cleaner, Aquacal Heat Pump

5. Back To Top    #5

With high TA fill water, trying to maintain a lower TA in your pool is a futile effort. Looks like you could maintain the pH a little higher and still have a reasonable CSI.

BTW, the ph and TA have basically nothing to do with maintaining clear water. It is the CYA and FC balance that keeps the water clear.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

6. Back To Top    #6

I live in Houston as well (Memorial area) and the TA of my fill water is about the same as yours. I try very hard to let rain water fill up my pool but I still have to use tap water occasionally. I've gotten my TA down to the 60-70 range and it helps with the pH rise. I have a SWCG and I still have to add about a quart of MA every two weeks or so to keep my CSI around zero or slightly negative.

What is your CH? Mine stays in the high 400s but my fill water is around 150 so it too rises just like TA.
    9,200 gal. Gunite Luna Quartz French Grey pool with spill over spa, two fountains on tanning ledge (rarely used)
    Pentair Whisperflo 2HP, Pentair CCP Cartridge 420 Sq. Ft., Polaris 280 with booster pump
    Pentair EasyTouch 4, RayPak LoNox 266k Natural Gas heater, Aqua Rite SWCG T Cell 9, Borates, TF-100 test kit

7. Back To Top    #7

My pool water CH is 250 and the CYA is 50.
    16,400 gallon
    Cartridge Filter
    IG
    Plaster
    Intelli-Flo @ 2000rpm

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by HouTex View Post
    What is your CH? Mine stays in the high 400s but my fill water is around 150 so it too rises just like TA.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, as I am admittedly a noob, but this doesn't sound right. If your CSI is near zero and your fill water CH is only 150 this should not be happening.
    14K Freeform Gunite w/60% Blue Quartz plaster, Quad DE filter, Intelliflo VS Pump + Booster for Cleaner, Aquacal Heat Pump

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by zethacat View Post
    I am a noob but this doesn't sound normal. What causes CH to rise on its own beside corroding plaster or hard fill water? If your CSI is near zero, this should not be happening. Correct me if I'm wrong.
    Water evaporates, leaves the CH behind. Add tap water and you are adding more CH. Only way for the CH to NOT rise is if you were replacing evaporated water with fill water that had 0ppm CH (like rain water).
    Jason, TFP Moderator

10. Back To Top    #10

Oh, ****.