RayPak Heater-Instructions on CL PPM

HouTex

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 7, 2011
Houston, Texas
The instructions for my new RayPak heater state that free CL should never exceed 5 ppm and it recommends CL of 2-3 ppm. Of course, they do not adjust CL for the level of CYA. The instructions also state:

"Automatic chemical dosing devices and salt chlorinators are usually more efficient
in heated water, unless controlled, they can lead to excessive chlorine level which
can damage your heater, and which is not covered under warranty."

I target 4 ppm for free CL and I target 70 ppm for CYA and those levels are within the levels recommended here--but at the low end, and higher than RayPak's recommended level (2-3 ppm), but less than its maximum.

My concern is with the warranty. Has anyone here had any specific experience with RayPak and a higher CL than it recommends--at say 6 ppm? Did RayPak claim that its warranty was void if there was a problem?

In light of my experience with my old heater I'm concerned about the unit rusting out. My old Pentair Mastertemp's heat exchanger, and other parts, were so rusted after 4 years of service that it was ruined. I don't think it was from the salt (never higher than 3,200 ppm and usually around 3,000) or CL level. Instead, I believe it was from my storage of MA bottles about 3 feet from the heater. I figured that was a safe distance--being outside and all.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. If they want to deny the warranty, they will, regardless of what your levels actually were. In practice, if they are going to deny warranty coverage, they almost always do so on the basis of low PH. While it is very very unusual for the FC level to come up as an issue in warranty coverage denials.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.