Pool floor stain (new build) assistance

Dec 10, 2014
Trinidad
Hi Guys,

New to the forum here, just looking for some advice for now. I recently constructed my pool, inground 25'x12' with a 6'x6' jacuzzi flowing into the pool. I was looking for a dark blue coloured finish, but could only source Azure quartz from SGM, really wanted Midnight Blue diamondbrite. I am from Trinidad in the Caribbean so not much suppliers keep that colour in stock.

Anyhoos, contractor did the installation 3 weeks aback, and there were white streaks and stains on the floor and walls when complete. He indicated that it was the "cement" mixture from the diamondbrite, and that it will fade away when chlorine is added. The pool was filled, but the pump was not installed at that time. I was doing some tiling around after the pool was filled, and had some red sand close by as well. On sunday, he decided to empty the pool and clean and refill, as the water got dirty....assuming chlorine from the pipe water used to fill the pool settled on floor. The floor of the pool appeared to be further stained basically on the same areas that had the initial white discolorations. This time it looked light brown/yellow. He told me that the red sand that was around blew into the pool and caused it, and it could not be cleaned. He tried acid washing some parts of the stain, and it did not go away.

Sand Filter & Pump has been running for the past couple days for 12hrs. He threw in some chlorine yesterday,and pool is cloudy today. I was wondering if anyone came across this before, and what can I use to try and fix. I have held back his last payment for one month, because he stated after that the chlorine should solve the problem in a few weeks. I am thinking its a problem with the application and mixture, or even algae growth due to still water.

Pics are after initial application with white streaks....you may not see it properly in the pic. And the other is the floor after draining. There was no use of the pool at all. Any help will be appreciated!

Attachments

• WP_20141118_06_48_57_Pro.jpg
    WP_20141118_06_48_57_Pro.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 54
  • WP_20141207_19_27_03_Pro.jpg
    WP_20141207_19_27_03_Pro.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 54
Welcome to TFP!

Those look like copper stains. However, copper is quite rare unless you added some (some algaecides) or had extremely low PH etching copper out of a gas heater.

Red sand would tend to indicate iron, which would stain brown/yellow/red. That kind of fits your description, but is not what I see in the photo.

Either copper or iron will normally be removable with an acid wash. However, metal stains during the first week with fresh plaster can sometimes become embedded in the plaster and become extremely difficult to remove.

Thanks for the response.

No algaecide added, and no heater was connected at the time. I have a heat pump installed. Not gas. He applied some acid, which had no effect on the stain. I dont want to have to replaster as the build is 3 weeks old. I am hoping that the chlorine that he added could magically do the trick within a few weeks. I have a SWG installed as well, but have not put that, nor the heater on, until the water is maintained.

The first pic is the day after diamondbrite application whilst pool was filling. The 2nd is 3 weeks after. The pool was drained, and thats the stains showing at that time. The one below I took this morning to get the same view, whilst refilled. Contractor is not sure what caused it, and acid is not taking it off. It is very noticable, and i dont think it should be like that as a new build. I am willing to try any ideas that you guys can offer. His final payment is withheld.

WP_20141211_06_33_29_Pro.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.