Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Test Kit Arrived

1. Back To Top    #1

Test Kit Arrived

Received my TF-100 yesterday. Sure is a lot of bottles!!! Now I just need to learn how to use it.

Started watching the YouTube videos.
    ~Paul
    19x40 IG including 10' BE, 18,000 gal, plaster, 48 SF DE, 1.5HP pump, AquaPure SWCG, Ozonejoe 30MR, Rockwaterfall, LED light, TF-100 Fill date 11/21/2014
    My ODK Build | My Pool Build | If You're From Texas Vote Here

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Test Kit Arrived

Congrats on your kit! It's really the best overall kit around in terms of usefulness and value for a homeowner pool. I love the SpeedStir option as well.

Check out the Extended Test Kit Directions if you want some more detail on the tests and ask questions if needed.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

3. Back To Top    #3

Good to see you are taking control. You will be a Jr. Chemist in no time. It looks like a lot but it really is easy. Start keeping a log, soon you will start to see a trend and a feel for your pools personality. Over time you might not need to run every test every time. TA, CH, and CYA are the ones that don't change much. Good luck and ask questions. That's what TFP is here for. Everyone had to start somewhere.
    17500 gallon Doughboy AGP, Hayward DE filter, waiting for the 1.5hp DB pump to go out.
    Learn to take the advice here and be trouble free or use the pool store's advice. "You can't do both and get very far"

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by jcowart View Post
    Good to see you are taking control. You will be a Jr. Chemist in no time. It looks like a lot but it really is easy. Start keeping a log, soon you will start to see a trend and a feel for your pools personality. Over time you might not need to run every test every time. TA, CH, and CYA are the ones that don't change much. Good luck and ask questions. That's what TFP is here for. Everyone had to start somewhere.
    Keeping a log is a great idea. If you want to get your nerd on and use a great spreadsheet. JessieWV has put together a pretty good one here.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

5. Back To Top    #5

I was making a log, but stopped and downloaded the spreadsheet referenced above.

I do have a SWCG, what should I set my salt ppm to be?
    ~Paul
    19x40 IG including 10' BE, 18,000 gal, plaster, 48 SF DE, 1.5HP pump, AquaPure SWCG, Ozonejoe 30MR, Rockwaterfall, LED light, TF-100 Fill date 11/21/2014

6. Back To Top    #6

Whatever salt level is recommended by your particular SWG.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

7. Back To Top    #7

Congrat's on the kit. It really is easy once you run a couple of them. Ask questions if you need too. Salt is usually around 3500 PPM but look to see what you Mfr suggests to be sure.

Welcome to the forum.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

8. Back To Top    #8

PoolPal is a terrific app for keeping a log of everything and having it tell you what to do to get to your goals. The beauty of it is that it can be right there at the pool with you. Also very very easy o use it to see effects of different levels on the LSI and CSI indices (which not everyone needs or cares about).
    Central TX / 12K GAL / IG / SWG / DE filter / Pentair SVRS & 3 swim jet pumps / Spa bench and jets / Single body of water / No heater.

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by JVTrain View Post
    Keeping a log is a great idea. If you want to get your nerd on and use a great spreadsheet. JessieWV has put together a pretty good one here.
    I am a total spreadsheet geek - thanks for pointing this out, it is now downloaded - Karen
    New in 2017, will update

10. Back To Top    #10

Just did a full set of tests. Here are the results.
    FC 2.5
    CC 0.5
    TC 3
    Br 4
    Ph 8.5
    TA 60
    CYA 50
    CH 500
    Acid demand 5 drops so I added1/2 gal of muradic acid.

I have been chasing the ph since the pool was filled in November. We got about 2 inches of rain yesterday and it still tested above 8.2.

How long should I wait after adding the acid till I test again?
    ~Paul

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by Jabooh1 View Post
    Just did a full set of tests. Here are the results.
    FC 2.5
    CC 0.5
    TC 3
    Br 4
    Ph 8.5
    TA 60
    CYA 50
    CH 500
    Acid demand 5 drops so I added1/2 gal of muradic acid.

I have been chasing the ph since the pool was filled in November. We got about 2 inches of rain yesterday and it still tested above 8.2.

How long should I wait after adding the acid till I test again?
    With the pump on, half an hour should be plenty. You can ensure things are mixed well by brushing a little to set up cross currents.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

12. Back To Top    #12

Thanks!

I'll go back out in a hour or so and retest. I brushed it after adding the acid.
    ~Paul

13. Back To Top    #13

In the Industry

Br stands for bromine and you have none in your pool. That test is an OTO test for chlorine and is redundant when you do the far more accurate FAS/DPD Free Chlorine test (the one with the powder)

I have been chasing the ph since the pool was filled in November
    Not sure how you tested 8.5 since the test only goes to 8.2. Nevertheless, you should not be "chasing" the pH but rather bringing it down by using PoolMath to calculate your dosage and muriatic to bring the pH down to around 7.5. Is that what you are doing?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

14. Back To Top    #14

Yes. I estimate it higher than 8.2. It is at least 8.2. By chasing I mean, chasing a proper ph value. I have added at least a gal of MA and have not seen a discernible drop in ph.
    ~Paul

15. Back To Top    #15

Remember that the pH scale is logarithmic, not linear. The move from 8.5 to 8.2 will take a lot more acid than the move from 8.2 to 7.9

I would use 8.2 as your start value, use 7.8 as your target, and add enough acid to achieve that move. Wait 30 min and retest. You may need to redo this several times - you know your pH is above 8.2, but it's impossible to know how high above.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

16. Back To Top    #16

Thanks for the explanation. I must not have caught that when I read pool school.

17. Back To Top    #17

Quote Originally Posted by Jabooh1 View Post
    Thanks for the explanation. I must not have caught that when I read pool school.
    Another possibility is that the acid you bought might not be full strength. If it says "low fuming" or "safer" or anything else, it's a good chance it's weaker than 31.45% and you need to select the proper strength to calculate the proper dosage. Also, your pool may or may not be the size you think it is. If it's bigger than you were told, you'll be underdosing all the time.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

18. Back To Top    #18

It is 31.45% MA. When I filled the pool I measured the flowrate of the hose into a 5 gal bucket so I should be close to the volume. It is possible to be off though. Tested it today. Seems much better.
    Cl 2.5
    ph 7.8 to 8 (I have hard time telling the difference)
    Acid demand was one drop to 7.2
    TA 40

With the SWCG I need to TA to go up. Do I do TA adjustment first then counter the ph with MA or other way around?
    ~Paul

19. Back To Top    #19

Check out "Effects of Adding Chemicals" at the bottom of poolmath. You'll see that Baking Soda has very little effect on pH.

Personally, I'd fix the pH first, since it has the most effect on scaling or etching, and then fine tune the rest.

20. Back To Top    #20

Ok reread pool school and I think it might be starting to sink (haha) in. Just a lot of information.

I need to keep doing MA treatments to lower the ph to 7.6. Then add baking soda to bring TA (because MA will lower it) to 60-80.

One thing that the articles do is warn you of what can happen when chemicals are out of the suggested ranges. However it doesn't tell you how quickly problems can arise. If ph is high for a week or two or TA is low for a while, does that have great affects on the plaster?
    ~Paul

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast