Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool newb in SoCal

1. Back To Top    #1

Corona CA

Pool newb in SoCal

Just purchased a new to me house with a pool, will be moving in next week. The wife is all ready to act out the pool scene from Vacation with Chevy Chase. "This is crazy, this is crazy." This will be my first time owning and maintaining a pool and really hope I don't mess things up.

The previous owner is a member here, I don't recall his screen name. From what I remember of the details the pool was built in 2007, I think 17,000 gallons, has a saltwater system and a multi speed pump. My home inspector has a pool and he seemed really impressed with the set up. Being new I will just have to take his word for it.

I have a lot of reading to do.

Screen Shot 2014-12-09 at 3.03.44 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2014-12-09 at 3.04.03 PM.jpg

2. Back To Top    #2
    Tucson, AZ

Re: Pool newb in SoCal

Welcome to TFP!!!

The previous owner did you a great service by pointing you here. Hopefully you can avoid all the wallet draining pitfalls typical of new pool owners who trust the pool "experts" at the pool store
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Dallas-Ft. Worth Metroplex, TX

Wow nice pool!! Looks like a real oasis .. all natural with the rocks going all around it. It will be a breeze for you to maintain. Click pool school at the top , then getting started , and read abcs of pool water chemistry , routine pump/filter maintenance and basic pool care schedule.

You'll also want to get yourself a good test kit like the TF-100. You can order that from

Oh, and welcome to TFP!!
    Last edited by Leebo; 12-10-2014 at 11:54 AM. Reason: ....
    14K Freeform Gunite w/60% Blue Quartz plaster, Quad DE filter, Intelliflo VS Pump + Booster for Cleaner, Aquacal Heat Pump

4. Back To Top    #4
    Gurnee, IL (North Suburban Chi-town)

Welcome to the forum! You are really lucky to be inheriting from another TFP'er. When you have questions, we're always here to help.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

5. Back To Top    #5
    Elverson Pa.

Welcome to TFP !
    Great looking pool ! You won't have any problems with it as long as you stick with us.
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide
    Hudson, WI

Welcome to the forum Rob
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. May 20 - opened for summer
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit -
    Please help keep the lights on so we can be here for others, become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

8. Back To Top    #8

Nice pool and interesting inheritance! Welcome, I hope you will stick around, and enjoy the forum.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    TF-100 Test Kit, ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Flagstone, 36"SF, Pentair VS Pump, EasyTouch W/Remote, Rheem 400KBTU Htr

9. Back To Top    #9
    Tallahassee, FL

Welcome! You are SO lucky that the former owner knew and used TFP to keep his pool clear and clean.

Now it is up to you! It is easy and cheap!

I do want to tell you to PLEASE do not go to the pool store for their "free" water test. It is not so free as most of the time they will try to sell you all kinds of stuff that you do not need.

The best thing you can do look at my siggy below to find the link to the test kits that will allow YOU to test your own water and keep that pretty pool looking great.

Here is some light reading to get you started:

TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit, Become a TFP supporter!