tkneib

Dec 8, 2014
Spartanburg, SC
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
I’m a swimming pool novice who is building a home in Punta Gorda, FL and we’re having an in-ground pool built with a pool cage. I’m in need of some advice before I approve the pool design/contract. The pool will be 26ft x 14ft with a 6ft deep end and a 3ft deep end. I’ve figured that the pool will hold approximately 12.300 gallons of water. The pool is a rectangular shape and the surface area is approximately 329 sq feet. An octagonal 6’ spa is attached to the pool and is approximately 40 sq feet and I’m assuming a standard depth? There is a main drain in both the pool and spa. The pool has 3 returns, 1 skimmer, 2 two foot sheer waterfalls and 1 multicolored LED light. The spa has 4 jets, 3 spillways into the pool, a blower and 1 multicolored LED light. The following is a list of the products the pool contractor is supplying.
Pentair Products:
1. Intelliflo VF Pump
2. Clean & Clear Plus cartridge filter CCP-420
3. Intellichlor Salt Chlorine generator IC20
4. Easytouch control System
5. Intellibrite 5G LED light
6. Gulfstream HI 110-RA heat pump pool heater
7. Spa Blower (unknown make, size,etc)
Just looking at the equipment, is this adequate to operate the pool, spa and waterfalls? Is there anything I should ask or be aware of before we proceed? I’ve never owned a swimming pool so I’m at a loss for intelligent questioning of the pool contractor.
Thanks Much in Advance,
tkneib

Hey, welcome to TFP! :handwave:

Have you checked out this article yet?

How To Pick A Pool Builder

Make sure you get everything in writing. All equipment part #'s, size of plumbing.. anything the PB stated he/she was going to give you for free or include in your build should be in writing.

Not sure if it matters to you but a freeform shaped pool is usually less expensive.

If you are completely new to the whole pool building scene, I recommend you read a bunch of threads in the "under construction" forum. Some of them are quite long and those are usually the ones with the best info.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Be aware that with a single pump you will not be able to run the spa jets and the waterfalls at the same time. That pump is certainly large enough to handle your flow rate needs. Although, I would suggest the VS and not the VF.
Also note that the VS and VF pumps are sensitive to lightning strikes and you have a lot of that. So be sure there is some surge protection added to help protect the pump.

-The filter and SWG look to be adequately sized.
-A spa blower is not needed if the spa plumbing is done correctly ... seems that many builders do not know how to plumb them correctly. Previous house had a spa and the equipment was pretty far away from the spa and it did not need a blower.
-Make sure the floor drains in the pool and skimmer are plumbed to the equipment pad separately. You get better control that way instead of the floor connected to the skimmer.

Thanks for the info, I'll check out under construction. Unfortunately, the pool is included in the price of the home and the contractor chooses the sub. I have checked him out and he does build quite a number of pools in Charlotte county and has a decent reputation with the BBB so I'm not against using this company. I just want to be sure that I'm getting quality equipment that'll last a long time and perform as expected.

- - - Updated - - -

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Be aware that with a single pump you will not be able to run the spa jets and the waterfalls at the same time. That pump is certainly large enough to handle your flow rate needs. Although, I would suggest the VS and not the VF.
Also note that the VS and VF pumps are sensitive to lightning strikes and you have a lot of that. So be sure there is some surge protection added to help protect the pump.

-The filter and SWG look to be adequately sized.
-A spa blower is not needed if the spa plumbing is done correctly ... seems that many builders do not know how to plumb them correctly. Previous house had a spa and the equipment was pretty far away from the spa and it did not need a blower.
-Make sure the floor drains in the pool and skimmer are plumbed to the equipment pad separately. You get better control that way instead of the floor connected to the skimmer.

Thanks Jason,
My main concern was that the pump (VS or VF) was adequately sized to handle the pool, spa and water features.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.