Easy Touch System Reliability

Dec 3, 2014
sarasota florida
We are thinking of getting the Easytouch 4 automation system with an indoor control panel. We will be getting an estimate today. How reliable is the system? Does it break a lot? Is it expensive to have repaired? Is it easy to use?

Thanks for your help.

Welcome to TFP.

The EasyTouch system is well reviewed. No system is perfect, but the EasyTouch seems to rate as high as anything else out there. They have a specific way of thinking about things. As long as you follow their way of thinking it is simple to setup/program/use. However, the manual is not very clear, and if you don't follow how they have things designed to be used it can get frustrating sometimes.

I believe that the answer to your questions would be "it depends" on what you expect the EasyTouch to do. The more complex the system the more likelihood of a problem. I have a very simple set up.. EasyTouch 4 Control Panel, Variable Speed Pump, and Salt Water Chlorine Generator. No Spa, no automatic valves, no heater, no in-floor cleaning system, no solar system, no etc. I installed and programmed the system myself and, so far, have had no issues. Since the Easytouch comes in several different configurations, I'd ask myself the following questions:

1. What do I expect the EasyTouch to do for me?

2. Do I want the single body system or the duel body system? (Single Body for Pool OR Spa only, Dual body for Pool AND Spa)

3. Do I plan on having a Salt System? If so, it would be make sense to buy the unit with the SWG power source already built in the control panel.

4. Do you plan on have automated valves? If so, it might make sense to buy the unit that comes with the valves.

5. Do you plan to install it yourself?

6. Do you plan to program it yourself?

7. Do you plan on having a hardwired inside panel or wireless panel? Do you really need a panel or would you rather use your PC or cell phone?

Just my thoughts about what you should be looking for when looking at the estimate.

Also, programming, for a simple system is relatively easy, reading the manual is not. It is much easier to do it, than it is to write down how to do it. It takes about half an hour, or so, to get a feel for how the system operates.

Keep in mind that I only have the one system, so your mileage may vary.

Thanks

Jim R.

We are thinking of getting the Easytouch 4 automation system with an indoor control panel. We will be getting an estimate today.

How reliable is the system?
Does it break a lot?
Is it expensive to have repaired?
Is it easy to use?

Thanks for your help.

1) Very reliable.
2) No.
3) It rarely "breaks" so those costs would be low.
4) Easy to use, Yes. Programming, however, can be however challenging you want it to be depending how elaborate you wish to get with it. The manual is available online. Look through it, and see if it is something you can navigate comfortably.

http://www.pentairpool.com/pdfs/easytouch8and4UG.pdf

Thanks everyone for your responses. It's good to know that it seems like a pretty good system. Ours will be simple - pool, no spa, Pentair variable speed pump, Aqua Cal heat pump. We are going to get the digital remote. Hopefully, once it is programmed when it's installed, it won't be too complicated if we need to change the programming.

Thanks again for the helpful information.

That system is kind of overkill for just a pool.

I agree, it does seem like overkill. However, my husband has difficulty maneuvering in the walled in the area where the pool equipment is. He has Parkinsons and has fallen a few times trying to do stuff with the pump, filter, etc. So, he decided that he wanted to be able to do whatever he needs to do using a remote and not have to fool around with the actual equipment. I can't convince him that I know how to operate the equipment and we could save a lot of money if I just took care of things. He's a stubborn one!

But the remote just turns items on/off. Are you planning on changing speeds on your pump often? This system won't help with doing things with the filter either. If you don't have a need for automated valves, then you really should save your pennies and look at something cheaper. Most folks hardly change pump speeds as well. You can get a variable speed pump that has a wall mountable controller so you can change speeds without being right at the pump.

Paul,

I'm not sure I'm in any position to disagree with a "Senior Member who is in the Industry", but I'll try anyway. ;) Assuming you were going to install a salt system anyway, the additional cost of an Easy Touch4 is less than $300. For this $300 you get the ability to expand in the future. You also get a professional looking control panel that includes a Circuit Breaker panel, a system timer or timers depending on your current set up, pool light control, heater control, and landscape lighting control, all without any additional cost. It makes for a pretty clean and visually impressive installation. Of course for additional $$$ you can add functions and get the ability to monitor and control the system from an inside panel or computer. Maybe just me, but I like having the ability to add to the system if I need to, or want to, in the future. Or... I could just be trying to justify the money that I have already spent. :p

If you don't buy one of the big name brand salt systems, you can save a lot more. I don't care what people want to buy but I do like them to see there are other cheaper options out there especially with a single body of water.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hello, first off let me say I love the Ez-Touch. It's simple to configure and operate. That being said, we've had major issues with the actuators failing/grounding out this year. It always seems to happen during freeze protection or just after the customer uses the spa. Created so many headaches for my company. Pentair has been very good at honoring their warranty though so that is a plus :)

The good thing is that you don't have a spa so that takes this actuator issue out of a possibility. Now, to an earlier post by ps0303, the remote can control the VS pump speeds for different "features" that you have installed. For a beginner control system the Ez-Touch is hard to beat. That is unless you go with a lesser control system such as the Sun Touch which, to me, isn't worth the savings.

Last thing to consider, Pentair VS pumps have built-in program capabilities thus allowing you to set schedules and speeds in the pump software.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.