Need Remodeling Help in SoCal

Dec 8, 2014
Glendale, CA
Hi, I am purchasing a home with a pool in terrible shape and we are due to move in next month. I have a zillion questions but will try to keep this short. I don't live there yet so specifics may be difficult but what I know is its leaking and the surface of the pool has several areas where the concrete (or whatever the surface is made of) is coming off in layers.

I know nothing about pools, having never had one, but after lots of reading I'm hoping all this pool needs is a resurfacing and a resealing of all lights, etc. I understand there could be a leak in the plumbing but I'll worry about that should it come up.

I need to start putting a plan and budget together to fix this and I intend to call out contractors for quotes but I don't even know what to ask for so what I'm hoping for here is ideas of what you more experienced pool owners would try to do accomplish in a light remodel. Essentially, "if it was me at this point I would...", even its just an opinion. I'm interested in all thoughts and ideas at this stage and please don't think anything is too elementary. The only end goals I have in mind at this point are 1.) A non-leaking, functional pool and 2.) It must have a safety cover of some sort on it for my toddlers. I'm obviously hoping to make it automatic, under the coping if that seems reasonable in a remodel. I know myself and a manual cover = a pool that won't get used.Thoughts around cost and level of effort for different ideas are really helpful. :)314032802_22_0.jpg314032802_23_0.jpg314032802_24_0.jpg314032802_26_0.jpg

It sounds like you need the pool re-plastered. That will fix many kinds of leaks, notably resealing around lights and other fittings, though it won't fix leaking plumbing. It will also take care of areas where old plaster is coming off.

Welcome to TFP!!!! And congratulations on becoming a pool owner.

As Jason said a replaster will cure many ills. Safety covers are a different issue. I think you will find there are no under coping safety covers for freeform pools, much less autocovers. There might be some custom scenarios but they would be extremely expensive.

Generally auto covers require some type of rectangular pool.

There are a variety of safety nets and covers. They are not cheap and take time to properly install and remove.

Looks great. Definitely replaster. It will be like a new pool. I can't really see the water tiles but they may be salvageable along with the coping depending on what you want as an end result.
Cover is a different story altogether. Looks like you already have a fence so maybe just some additional fencing and safety gate could work for you. Most covering options require a bit of time and effort. Nothing I want to get involved with myself. We just have a removable safety fence.

Thanks for all the comments so far. Very helpful. It sounds like a replastering is a forgone conclusion and should hopefully solve any of the problems with leaking and rough spots.

As for the cover my thoughts were many fold. First is safety, obviously. Equally for my kids but also any visiting children over the years. A cover would allows me to open the backyard to my kids and their friends w/o worry. I don't think twice about my kids roaming free in our current backyard w/ little supervision and I'm hoping for a similar setup in our new home. With an open pool I would feel compelled for obvious reasons to not let any children out of my sight. I don't want to be a statistic.

Another thought is warmth. I HATE swimming in cold pools. We've had pools in condos over the years and I refuse to get in if its cold. Just a personal choice so I know its expensive but we have a pool heater and I plan to use it and a cover could heavily reduce costs. Cleanliness, chemicals, etc are also enticing reasons to have a cover. Non-automatic safety covers look pretty bad, lets be honest and again I doubt I'll spend 30 minutes playing with it every time I want to take a dip.

Lets be honest i won't spend my retirement on an automatic cover but due to these reasons I'm willing to spend alot. Any ideas with this in mind that might make sense are VERY helpful. Thanks again for all the comments so far.

I'd congratulate my kids if they managed to get in my pool with the cover on.

Your only option for an autocover is tracking run on the deck in a rectangle and an above ground box, presumably on the end away from the house. No feasible way to do an undermount with your large variation from a rectangle. One way to make the track look a bit hidden is to raise the decking where the track is and create a step down as you approach the pool. It looks like you already have a step coming from the house.

I'd congratulate my kids if they managed to get in my pool with the cover on.

Your only option for an autocover is tracking run on the deck in a rectangle and an above ground box, presumably on the end away from the house. No feasible way to do an undermount with your large variation from a rectangle. One way to make the track look a bit hidden is to raise the decking where the track is and create a step down as you approach the pool. It looks like you already have a step coming from the house.

Wow BMore, thanks. I knew someone here would have an idea I hadn't thought of. Not sure at all if it would work but extending out the current step to hide the auto cover is a fantastic idea. My challenge seems to be very little decking to work with with which to place above decking tracks so thats why I started thinking under deck tracking similar to what is pictured here but again all ideas for a remodel are welcome because it may spark the solution that brings it all together. I plan to meet with contractors in a couple weeks so regardless I'll keep everyone updated with pictures on how the remodel comes along. I'm VERY motivated to figure out an automatic cover solution so I'll keep notes coming on this thread as to how it turns out. Wish me luck!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thinking more, If you put the cover box on the house side then you can hide the entire box with a low landscaping cutout in the decking or furniture or something else. On the far side of the pool you can't hide the box when viewed from the house.

Have you considered a pool alarm instead of a cover? Perhaps in addition to the fencing ideas that were suggested? Safety Turtle makes a nice pool alarm. https://www.safetyturtle.com. We use it for our dogs so that if they fall in we will know it. They are corgis so very short legs and difficult to get up and out of the pool unless they swim to the steps. They've been trained to do so, but in a panic situation....

Have you considered a pool alarm instead of a cover? Perhaps in addition to the fencing ideas that were suggested? Safety Turtle makes a nice pool alarm. https://www.safetyturtle.com. We use it for our dogs so that if they fall in we will know it. They are corgis so very short legs and difficult to get up and out of the pool unless they swim to the steps. They've been trained to do so, but in a panic situation....

Thanks! I've heard of a pool alarm but for some reason didn't really look into it, having my heart set on the auto cover. A not so terrible backup plan could be a solar cover and a pool alarm. Hmmm.... Definitely something worth exploring. It would be a serious concession in my mind but seeing as I don't have money to burn lying around it may be one of the best options I have. Thanks again....

Yea for you for thinking about the kid's safety first! I live in Florida and every year there are many stories...........

My thoughts:

-auto cover-tracks like stated above even if you have to pour more decking.

-fencing-PLEASE do a safety fence around the pool even if you get a cover. It will at least slow them down.

-alarm-back up safety feature

My worry about the cover only plan is that if/when a child does walk out onto the cover it will give way. The child will then be trapped in the folds of the cover and it will be next to impossible for them to get out on their own and make it very hard and time consuming to get them out.

Let us know what you find out from the pb. Tell us any ideas you get and we will be glad to help you spend your money and give you ideas.

Check out the Katchakid net. Installed mine myself for about $900. Looks better than the fence we had, and I think it is quicker to remove and install. Our pool has around 110' perimeter, and my wife and I can get the net off and rolled up in 3 minutes. Takes about 8 minutes to put back on. Ill also add that if it is installed properly, there is no way it could be defeated by a toddler. An older child could cut the net off I guess.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.