New Home, New Pool and CRAZY Measurements!

Dec 8, 2014
Ventura, CA
I grew up with a pool in my backyard so I remember some of this stuff from watching my dad work but now that I've got a pool of my own, I need a crash course in maintaining pool chemistry. I was just pointed towards this site and what a huge help it's been already! I (mistakenly?) bought quick testing strips at a pool supply store yesterday and a test this morning looked terrible.

The pool we've just purchased was being maintained by a pool service but I have no idea the last time they were at the house before we occupied it 3 weeks ago. Here's what I think I read this morning on the test strip in really general measurements. My main question is what to do first. Do I shock the pool to fix the chlorine situation or put acid in it to try and remedy the Alkalinity/pH problem first? Thanks for your help! In the meantime, I'm going to Costco to stock up on bleach.

Free Chlorine - not registering
Total Chlorine - between 0-.5ppm
Alkalinity - 180-240ppm
pH - between 8.4-9.0
Total Hardness - above 450ppm
Cyanuric Acid - above 100ppm (we're living in a drought state so I can't justify emptying the pool to fix this-- how necessary is it?)

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Really the first step is to get one of the Recommended Test Kits ordered. I recommend the TF-100 which you will get quickly from poolsupplyworld.com (tftestkits.net is on the East coast and PSW is on the West coast).

While waiting, spend some time reading the forum. I recommend starting your Pool School journey with these:
ABCs of Water Chemistry
Recommended Pool Chemicals
How to Chlorinate Your Pool

If your CYA is truly 100+, then ideally that is the first thing you need to deal with by replacing water if at all possible.

If you want to feel like you are doing something, you would not likely hurt anything by adding a bottle of bleach every evening ... assuming you have a "normal" size pool ... you did not give us that info ;)

Please add your pool details to your signature as described HERE as it will help us help you.

Welcome to TFP !
Jason has given you good advice. A good test kit is a must have to manage your own water chemistry. Very small investment that will pay for itself in no time. I use the TF-100. It's the best value.
Read the links Jason has given you. It may take a couple of read thru's till you understand all of it. When you have questions don't hesitate to ask !

Hi Alexandra!! :handwave:

Welcome to TFP!!!

Jason is right you should really drain and refill. Right now your target FC is 12. One of the inherent problems with having to maintain a high level of chlorine is that anything over 10ppm can cause your PH reading to read incorrectly. If you can't control the PH then you wind up with other problems.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.