Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: AquaLink Extra AUX / Spare Relay?

1. Back To Top    #1

AquaLink Extra AUX / Spare Relay?

I am a pool automation virgin but, being retired and a geek, I have just installed a new Jandy Aqualink RS (PureLink) system to replace the antique system on the pool in my recently purchased home in Arizona.

I've got all the basic stuff working: pool and spa modes, heating, pool and spa lights, spa air blower, pool cleaner, etc. But the Aqualink combo has only four valve actuator relays: suction, return, cleaner and solar. I have been using the solar JVA slot to switch my spa from "return" to "jets". But I am installing real solar heating next week and will have to give up that slot. I have just purchased a special Jandy relay that creates an additional JVA slot using an AUX relay. Unfortunately all of my eight AUX positions are taken up by pumps, pump speeds, blowers, lights, etc. I keep seeing references to an "extra aux" feature but cannot find it in any of the documentation. Does it exist and can I use it to drive my "extra" JVA?

And what is the "spare" relay position on the control board next to the solar pump and electronic heating sockets. Could it be used to drive my extra JVA?..

Thanks for any advice!

Next step: salt!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: AquaLink Extra AUX / Spare Relay?

Welcome to TFP!

From what I see in the manual, extra aux is assigned to control a solar booster pump any time solar heating is enabled. It can perform other functions when solar is disabled, but is limited to solar when solar is enabled.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

You mentioned relays taken up for pump speeds. Are you changing the pump speeds for things like spa, cleaner, heater? Or are they for things like water features? Depending on your revision, you may be able to assign speeds to the different functions (spa, cleaner, heater, etc.) freeing up relays for other things.
    Factory Warranty Station for:
    Jandy/Zodiac, Pentair, Sta-Rite, Raypak, Polaris,
    and Paramount pool cleaning systems.

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks but I am controlling a non-Jandy pump (Hayward) and I need the Aux relays to switch the speed input lines.

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Are you running the pool and spa light on two relays or one? Would you be willing to run then together?

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Poolguy1 View Post
    Are you running the pool and spa light on two relays or one? Would you be willing to run then together?
    Separate relays. Together is my fallback plan. But I would still like to understand about the Extra Aux and the Spare Relay...
    17k gallon free form IG plaster pool and spa, 2x Hayward SP3400VSP pumps (filter & water features), Raypak natural gas heater, Heliocol solar, Pentair FNS Plus DE filter, Caretaker 5-zone in floor cleaning system, Dolphin Oasis Z5 robot cleaner, Jandy Aqualink RS automation with chlorine generation.

7. Back To Top    #7

I don't really understand what you are using all the valve actuators for. I have 3 on my system. One for suction and one for return. Thats all you should need to switch the pool and spa mode. I use another valve actuator to switch on my laminars.
    8000 gal diamond brite pool with 650 gal spillover spa, Pentair 3hp VS pump. Jandy Cartridge filter and Jandy Heat Pump. Jandy PDA automation system with 2 Pentair Laminars. SmartPool NC74S Robotic Pool Cleaner.