Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: adding calcium hardness increaser

1. Back To Top    #1

adding calcium hardness increaser

Drained and refilled pool with 7 month old dark gray plaster (colorscapes).
    I have added liquid chlorine, CYA and MA. These are my test results:

FC= 0.5
    PH= 7.6
    TA= 80
    CH= 100
    CYA= 20

I am concerned as to how to add calcium hardness increaser without etching plaster finish.
    Can i dilute CH increaser in bucket of warm water before adding to pool? CH increaser instructions state just to broadcast in pool with pump running without premixing in bucket of water.

Also should PH be a certain level before doing this?
    20K gal colorscapes dark gray plaster, no SWG, BBB method, variable speed hayward ecostar pump, pentair cartridge filter, hayward navigator cleaner.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: adding calcium hardness increaser

Broadcasting and brushing works OK as long as you brush quickly and thoroughly. If the calcium sits for too long, it can stick to the bottom. The colder the water, the faster the calcium can stick.

Premixing in a bucket also works. I would recommend that you do not exceed 2.5 pounds of calcium chloride per gallon of water. Also, don't use warm water in the bucket; just use pool water. Brush after adding the calcium by dilution.

Your pH is fine for adding the calcium.

3. Back To Top    #3

The issue with pre-mixing in a bucket is that it gets quite hot as it dissolves. If you are aware of that issue and use lots of water per pound of calcium it isn't a big deal, but if it catches you unaware you can burn yourself.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the info. Also what is the minimum CH level should be? i would like to keep it on the lower end of allowable.
    20K gal colorscapes dark gray plaster, no SWG, BBB method, variable speed hayward ecostar pump, pentair cartridge filter, hayward navigator cleaner.

5. Back To Top    #5

I would like to point out that FC should never be allowed to reach 0.5 even with no CYA. The minimum acceptable amount of chlorine is 2ppm with 20 CYA. If you let it fall below that you are asking for trouble.
    14K Freeform Gunite w/60% Blue Quartz plaster, Quad DE filter, Intelliflo VS Pump + Booster for Cleaner, Aquacal Heat Pump

6. Back To Top    #6

The lowest we recommend you allow CH to get with a plaster pool is 250.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School