Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Autopilot digital nano

1. Back To Top    #1

Autopilot digital nano

Hello everyone, after comparing the ideal water balance per the owners manual and the sticky there appears to be a few inconsistencies (cya being one).

Just want to confirm with the experts that I should follow the sticky vs owners manual.

Also didn't see anywhere in the manual that speaks to the water temperature and the effects on the SWG. Can you enlighten me?

Thanks as always.

15,000 Gal IG Pool | Autopilot SWG | Baracuda G3
    Filter Cartridge
    Taylor TF 100 Test kit
    A O Smith USQ1102 1hp single speed pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Autopilot digital nano

Yes, follow our guidelines, not what it says in the manual.

At colder water temperatures the SWG stops working very well. Fortunately, there is far less need for chlorine at cold temperatures. Autopilot units will keep working, all be it slowly, at low water temperatures, but most people simply turn them off.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Autopilot digital nano

Couple of reasons we recommend a higher CYA level for SWG's
    You get better protection for FC burn off from the sun and it also helps with PH levels rising with less runtime of the SWG with the higher CYA protecting your FC. Your SWG contributes to PH level increase.
    Some SWG stop making chlorine when water temps get into the low 50's. Why, I don't have that answer. 😎
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

4. Back To Top    #4

[shines chemgeek signal into the sky]
    14K Freeform Gunite w/60% Blue Quartz plaster, Quad DE filter, Intelliflo VS Pump + Booster for Cleaner, Aquacal Heat Pump

5. Back To Top    #5

The reason that SWGs stop making chlorine when the temperature drops is that water conductivity is a function of temperature and drops roughly 2% per degree Celsius. So at 50F compared to 80F that's 0.98^(30*(5/9)) = 0.71 so a roughly 30% drop in conductivity due to the higher resistance. It's not just that the output is lower (for the same applied voltage) but that different reactions can occur instead of just producing chlorine. Such reactions produce oxygen gas or chlorate and these reactions are not the ones designed for the highly optimized coatings on the electrolytic plates. This was described in this post. For some systems, they don't separately measure the temperature so they just see lower temperature as if the salt level was lower and stop for that reason because lower salt levels will produce more oxygen gas instead of chlorine and again this isn't good for the coatings.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks guys. I usually run my pump for 8 hours a day. Is that the typical SWG run time? I'm guessing once my FC drops below 10 I can adjust to make sure FC is stable.

Filter Cartridge
    Taylor TF 100 Test kit

7. Back To Top    #7

8 hours is a bit longer than it is usually necessary to run the pump, though that varies from pool to pool. Smaller SWGs on larger pools require more pump run time than the other way around. The pool it's self typically only needs four to six hours.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks. I will start at 5 hours and set the SWG to 85% once my FC drops to 4.

Filter Cartridge
    Taylor TF 100 Test kit

9. Back To Top    #9

My pump runs 12 hours, but my SWCG is set to 20%.

Personally, I like the water to be circulating a lot, I know it's not necessary, but we get a lot of air-borne pollens in my neck of the woods. They make an unsightly mess.
    16 x 32 17500 gallons
    Vinyl in-ground
    Hayward 250# Sand Filter
    1 HP Pump
    Hayward SWG

10. Back To Top    #10

Griswald is that a single speed pump, or you running that on a slow speed? I had to cut back on my run time, because it was raising the FC to high with Autopilot set at 20%. I cut back to 6 hrs. 1 @ 2750 rpm 5 @ 1200 rpm..doesn't it raise the FC?
    13,000 Gal Pool & Spa
    Jandy Automation /w IAqualink
    Autopilot SWG
    Jandy 2.0 HP VSP, Filter Cartridge
    Taylor (FAS-DPD K-2600, Pool Surface: Plaster

11. Back To Top    #11

Single speed, no issues with FC being too high. I keep my CYA a tad lower than the suggested, but not too low (50) and I have full sun to bake off any excess FC.
    16 x 32 17500 gallons
    Vinyl in-ground
    Hayward 250# Sand Filter
    1 HP Pump
    Hayward SWG