Plumbing auto-fill at pad... where to tap in?

Welcome to Austin. Water prices here go up rapidly the more you use. You'll want to limit how much water your pool uses, especially if you water a lawn. I would not use an auto-fill, because I want to capture the most rain possible. Also using trichlor (tablets) exclusively will eventually require a significant water change or your algae will get out of control. This website is an amazing resource of science based information. You can learn to test your pool and only add the chemicals it needs. No more shooting in the dark. No more trusting someone who profits from being wrong.

You paid for a very nice system and it looks nicely placed out. Sadly, I wouldn't run the UV at all. It's Texas, we get plenty of UV. You're just destroying chlorine. The infectious stuff you listed isn't going to be your problem. It's algae. Almost all the chlorine I add is to replace what is destroyed by sunlight. I don't need more UV.

Luckily for you. The water is cold and the days (sunlight) is short. You won't see algae for a while. You can learn what you need before summer and be ready for when it gets harder.

The reason SWG systems are seldom used in Austin has nothing to do with plant or metal roof damage. It's because soft Texas limestone and other soft stone is so cheap, readily available, and widely used by pool builders. Pool builders want to produce the nicest looking product at the most reasonable construction cost and could care less about future water maintainence issues.

SWG is near ideal for a pool in a warm climate that is open year-round. But, salt, a relativly dry climate, and porous soft stone do not get along well. Here in Arizona most new pools in my area are designed for SWG. Virtually all residential pools in Australia are SWG now.

Lacking the ability to use SWG for chlorination I would look carefully at liquid chlorine feeder systems. Many members of this forum have built their own systems. Alternatively you could seal all stone, go for a SWG and deal with resealing stone every couple years.

Where did you end up plumbing in your autofill? I was debating between the filter and heater (so the fill water would be heated too), but perhaps that is unnecessary. Alternatively I was going to do it before the check valve between my heater and SWG chlorinator cell. I have plenty of psi coming in from the water mains (actually it is 110 psi to the outside faucets!!!)

Auto-fills are not typically installed into the pressurized pool plumbing. That would greatly increase the likelihood of pool water flowing back into your fresh water system.

Quote from OP rt:

"So is there no way to bring your CYA down without refilling the pool? I'm actually new to Austin and the whole "never closing your pool" idea (I grew up in the NE, where closing our pool was just an annual ritual). The bleach/liquid chlorine thread sounded interesting, though I have to admit I'm a little intimidated by the idea... Trichlor tablets seem so easy/foolproof..."

Man, am I glad to know that the orig poster is not a native Texan and orig from the NE !!! :poke: I was beginning to think Texas was losing it's credibility. :laughblue:

Rick, just kidding - I was VERY green before I stumbled across TFP Forum...best folks in the world...

This is a process and it takes time...wait before you do anything and read, read, read the links on the forum and read threads that interest you...you will get it

As far as pool maintenance, 3 things: 8,25% reg non scented and avoid splashless too, muractic acid and baking soda and you are done...never go to a pool store again unless it's to say goodbye....keep coming back and read, read, read...good luck from Harris to Travis County - tstex

Where did you end up plumbing in your autofill? I was debating between the filter and heater (so the fill water would be heated too), but perhaps that is unnecessary. Alternatively I was going to do it before the check valve between my heater and SWG chlorinator cell. I have plenty of psi coming in from the water mains (actually it is 110 psi to the outside faucets!!!)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.