Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Submersible Pool Cover Pump

1. Back To Top    #1

Submersible Pool Cover Pump

My third Rule automatic, submersible, pool cover pump just bit the dust. Looking for something different - any suggestions? Need one in a hurry - using a temp pump right now.
    18,000 gal, 18x32 IGP, vinyl liner, 3 to 5.5ft depth. One inlet/skimmer (Aqua Genie), one main drain. Hayward Pro Series Sand Filter w/filtration rate of 20 GPM/FT, Two-Speed Pentair Whisperflo 1 HP pump, Natural Gas Hayward H200 pool heater, Aquabot T2 (200 Series) Robotic Pool Cleaner (my best friend), Automatic Electric Pool Cover (2nd best friend).

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Submersible Pool Cover Pump

I have tried three brands so far, none of them seem to last more than two years.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion View Post
    I have tried three brands so far, none of them seem to last more than two years.
    well, shoot....hoping for more than that. Right now, looking at a Wayne automatic, submersible pool cover pump. 3 year warranty.
    18,000 gal, 18x32 IGP, vinyl liner, 3 to 5.5ft depth. One inlet/skimmer (Aqua Genie), one main drain. Hayward Pro Series Sand Filter w/filtration rate of 20 GPM/FT, Two-Speed Pentair Whisperflo 1 HP pump, Natural Gas Hayward H200 pool heater, Aquabot T2 (200 Series) Robotic Pool Cleaner (my best friend), Automatic Electric Pool Cover (2nd best friend).

4. Back To Top    #4

The Rule pump appears to be discontinued anyway:

http://www.rulepumpsupply.com/Pool_Cover_Pump.html
    16K gal IG 16'x28' pebble since 2011; Pentair Easytouch; Sta-Rite Intellipro VS pump; Sta-Rite 400 sq. ft. cartridge (System 3); 6 Heliocol Solar Panels; Aquamatic Cover; Legend pressure-side cleaner with Hayward booster pump; TF100 Test Kit.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by jjslinger View Post
    The Rule pump appears to be discontinued anyway:

http://www.rulepumpsupply.com/Pool_Cover_Pump.html
    Yes, I saw that, but they are still out there for purchase. However, I want to get a different brand and was looking for recommendations.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by h2ctpdjl View Post
    Yes, I saw that, but they are still out there for purchase. However, I want to get a different brand and was looking for recommendations.
    Understood. I'm on my second Rule pump, the first one having died after about 3 years. I'll be watching this thread, because I'm sure I'll need something in a year or two, and the Rule may not be available then.
    16K gal IG 16'x28' pebble since 2011; Pentair Easytouch; Sta-Rite Intellipro VS pump; Sta-Rite 400 sq. ft. cartridge (System 3); 6 Heliocol Solar Panels; Aquamatic Cover; Legend pressure-side cleaner with Hayward booster pump; TF100 Test Kit.

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by jjslinger View Post
    Understood. I'm on my second Rule pump, the first one having died after about 3 years. I'll be watching this thread, because I'm sure I'll need something in a year or two, and the Rule may not be available then.
    Not much action on this thread.....guess everyone must be out Christmas shopping. Leaving on a trip in three wks. and was hoping to get some recommendations for pump replacement and get it in place before I leave.

8. Back To Top    #8

The Little Giant APCP-1700 or the 5-APCP are ok choices. I haven't found any pumps that I would consider to be a really good choice.

9. Back To Top    #9

We have the Little Giant as well, model 5-APCP. We just replaced the one we had which came with the house we bought four years ago. That one had to be at least eight years old so they seem to last.
    Inground 22k gallon gunite 15x31 main pool, 15x7 wading pool/sunning deck, hot tub/with overflow (9' octagon with limestone top) & slide NSWG, Aqua Blue Pebble Sheen
    Filter dual cartridge Sta-rite 450sq/ft, TF-100 Test Kit
    Heater Raypak 2100 400k btu cupro-nickel exchanger
    Auto pool cover, Polaris 280 auto pool cleaner, Jandy AqualinkRS8 Remote Control System