Sizing the right sand filter for 18’x36’ In-ground vinyl pool

Oct 28, 2014
Berwick/Maine
I'm replacing my worn out Hayward 3/4 HP pump and Model DE3600 Micro Clear DE filter with a Hayward 1 HP pump and Pro Series sand filter. Any the advantages to getting a Hayward S270T Pro- Series 27-Inch Top-Mount Pool Sand Filter over the smaller Hayward S244T Pro Series 24-Inch Sand Filter?

Advantages I acknowledge for the larger 27-Inch Sand Filter is maybe longer periods between backwashing and probably lower pump back pressure. Is there other considerations that might indicate the smaller 24-Inch Sand Filter is sufficient for my 18’x36’ in-ground vinyl pool?

I'm replacing my worn out Hayward 3/4 HP pump and Model DE3600 Micro Clear DE filter with a Hayward 1 HP pump and Pro Series sand filter. Any the advantages to getting a Hayward S270T Pro- Series 27-Inch Top-Mount Pool Sand Filter over the smaller Hayward S244T Pro Series 24-Inch Sand Filter?

Advantages I acknowledge for the larger 27-Inch Sand Filter is maybe longer periods between backwashing and probably lower pump back pressure. Is there other considerations that might indicate the smaller 24-Inch Sand Filter is sufficient for my 18’x36’ in-ground vinyl pool?

Go big or go home, or in this case, Go Big or keep cleaning. Always oversize the filter as it save maintenance in the long term. As a sometimes lazy person i love not having to go out in the middle of July to backwash my filter.

Also a question out of curiosity, why did you go from a DE filter to a sand filter?

Thanks for the feedback, bigger sounds like the way to go.

Reason I'm getting rid of the DE filter is:
1. because I was getting tired of breaking it down every 1.5 to 2 weeks because it never back-washed well. I understand some of this was because I use Baquacil. I'm also switching to chlorine this year. I've always figured the reason my 23+ year vinyl pool liner has lasted this long was because I used the more expensive Baquacil vice chlorine.
2. Some of the DE hardware fell apart at end of year and that model is now obsolete with no parts available. So might as well swap now.

Thanks for the feedback, bigger sounds like the way to go.

Reason I'm getting rid of the DE filter is:
1. because I was getting tired of breaking it down every 1.5 to 2 weeks because it never back-washed well. I understand some of this was because I use Baquacil. I'm also switching to chlorine this year. I've always figured the reason my 23+ year vinyl pool liner has lasted this long was because I used the more expensive Baquacil vice chlorine.
2. Some of the DE hardware fell apart at end of year and that model is now obsolete with no parts available. So might as well swap now.

Gotcha, thanks for the details!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.