Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My pool has gone into full camo mode.

1. Back To Top    #1

My pool has gone into full camo mode.

If only there was big game running free in my back yard - my pool has turned into the perfect trap! Thanks to all the leaves my pool is in full camo mode.

~18,000 gallon
    DE filter/chlorine
    IG Grey Plaster
    25 year old pool w a facelift in 2014

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: My pool has gone into full camo mode.

Wow am I glad I do not have to deal with that. That is a lot of manual labor to get it cleared out.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

We had our fun with leaves about 2months ago in Ohio. Not much you can do but use a leaf net to help minimize the damage and bribe friends with beverages to help out.

4. Back To Top    #4

It's illegal in Texas to "trap" squirrels in there! (and I feel your pain)
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

5. Back To Top    #5

14K Freeform Gunite w/60% Blue Quartz plaster, Quad DE filter, Intelliflo VS Pump + Booster for Cleaner, Aquacal Heat Pump

6. Back To Top    #6

So far no squirrels, but I am getting rid of some of the moles from my yard (bleck!!!! I hate things with fur to be dead in my pool. I feel bad for the frogs but the furry things about kill me.) And on an up note, I won't need to do any arm circuits at the gym as long as this keeps up!
    ~18,000 gallon
    DE filter/chlorine
    IG Grey Plaster

7. Back To Top    #7

Only thing for sure is that they're easier to get off the top than the bottom!
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

8. Back To Top    #8

omg dead moles in your pool? I am NOT coming to your pool party!
    14K Freeform Gunite w/60% Blue Quartz plaster, Quad DE filter, Intelliflo VS Pump + Booster for Cleaner, Aquacal Heat Pump

9. Back To Top    #9

Yup. Thats about what mine looked like last week. I got em all scooped out though!
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

10. Back To Top    #10

Serious work there!

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by zethacat View Post
    omg dead moles in your pool? I am NOT coming to your pool party!

Trust me, I am not thrilled with the arrangement. I STRONGLY considered draining the pool the first time I found one "not swimming" in the pool. I put enough bleach in to sanitize a small country. I totally had to have tough conversation with myself the first time in order to just get it out of the pool - even considered calling the local pool guys to come and get it out. Now I am OCD about checking every single morning because I don't want anything in there for any length of time. I am in a sub division but on larger lots and in the country, so we have a lot of wild life around. Thankfully because of my fencing the deer don't get back there. I pull out snakes far more often than anything else, but never a dead one.

When I posted here about it I was assured that lots of people deal with lots of animals in the pool - some alive and some dead. No one seemed to think that I should drain the pool and fill it with bleach and run straight bleach through it for 3 or 4 days - other than me. lol!
    ~18,000 gallon
    DE filter/chlorine
    IG Grey Plaster

12. Back To Top    #12

Those leaves are CRAZY! How many more times do you think your trees will shed? Yikes. -Karen
    New in 2017, will update

13. Back To Top    #13

I have no trees in the back yard and only one tree in the front, yet it amazes me how many leaves still make it into the pool. Spring is even worse with the pollen, bracts, and seed pods.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

14. Back To Top    #14

I just want the skunks to stay away....there is a stock pond in our pasture - all wild animals and snakes should use that - leave the pool to the people and the dogs -Karen
    New in 2017, will update

15. Back To Top    #15

Sorry to say it but its a crime to let your pool get to this stage.

16. Back To Top    #16

That......"crime".......only takes about a day at my house with wind blowing and leaves falling.

17. Back To Top    #17

Ranger bob - I had pine needles earlier but none of those get to the pool. I think I have this bad drop (which will go on for a couple of weeks I guess) and another one in the spring. I have an oak that hangs right over the tree and for some reason I will lose about half the leaves now and the other half about the time the tree starts to put out new growth. I think the pool creates a micro climate for that tree and confuses it. And it seems fair that the animals leave your pool alone! No tank on my property but I am only about 3/4 a mile from a lake - I would think that I would have less wildlife here than I do because they would stay closer to the lake, but no.

Quote Originally Posted by martinkennedy View Post
    Sorry to say it but its a crime to let your pool get to this stage.
    That pool was clean when I went to bed, and looked like that by 9 am. I had the pool running yesterday and had a timer set for every 5 minutes to go out and empty the skimmer basket. Sadly the baskets were filled up that fast from the wind blowing the leaves off the trees. It sounded like rain. I had the lawn guys clear leaves on Thurs, but by Friday afternoon it looked like I hadn't done a thing about leaves all year.

This is only my 2nd fall with the pool, but I keep thinking that it only lasts for a couple of weeks and then it is done. The windows on the back of the house all look out onto the pool and I just hate the idea of covering it (but I hate the idea a lot less when I am scooping leaves).
    ~18,000 gallon
    DE filter/chlorine
    IG Grey Plaster

18. Back To Top    #18

Wouldn't it be easier and faster to just turn off the pump , let all the leaves fall off the tree and then rake them out with the leaf net?

19. Back To Top    #19

This is what I do. Just turn off the pump so dont have to worry about the pump sucking dry.

In a matter of a week or so, almost all the leaves are fallen, then I run my cleaner to get all the dirt off the bottom (those leaves are dirty!), and I'm right back to having a nice pool to look at.

Quote Originally Posted by zethacat View Post
    Wouldn't it be easier and faster to just turn off the pump , let all the leaves fall off the tree and then rake them out with the leaf net?
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

20. Back To Top    #20

That is a boat load of leaves ! I get leaves, but nothing like that. Me personally, I would be using a leaf net or covering it until those leaves were done. That's just me though. Not saying anybody's methods are wrong. 😎
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast