Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Storing liquid Chlorine

1. Back To Top    #1

Question Storing liquid Chlorine

Im not sure if it has been mentioned on here before couldnt find it in a search . I was thinking in my situation where i need to buy 10X5 gallon drums about every 8-10 weeks of 10% LC would it be worthwhile diluting some of it (maybe 5 drums) as soon as i get it down to say 5% as it would store better and not drop % as quick for the first 4 weeks i guess it wouldnt be too much of a problem but looking at the chart storing it at 30 oc daytime tempetures could loose a reasonable % by the end of its use . dont know if anyone else has done this or if its practical to do . I cant get it locally so i have to get it shipped in . then it needs to be a reasonable amout to becuase of shipping costs the manufacture date on the drums makes it about 4 weeks old by the time i get it
    Home built Concrete pool tiled 100% 6M X 12M 1.1-1.6 m deep 93,000 litres 24,500 US gallons
    Emaux SB15 1.5hp pump ,Emaux v700B Sand Filter with Zealbrite
    Emaux SSC50-T 45g/hr swg ,Jacuzzi chlorine Tablet Feeder

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Storing liquid Chlorine

Is there a way to store it in a cooled location or at least a shaded location? If you decide to dilute it you need to use pure water. Either distilled or Deminerlized (R/O). If you use tap water it could actually degrade the bleach itself.

Sounds like you may be a candidate for a swcg.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for the reply I did wonder about tap water causing it to degrade even more . I will get a swcg when funds permit just not yet .it is stored out of sun light and it is cooler on a night time which is about the best I can do at the mo
    Home built Concrete pool tiled 100% 6M X 12M 1.1-1.6 m deep 93,000 litres 24,500 US gallons

4. Back To Top    #4

The degradation from the water source happens if there are any metals in the water, even small amounts. Metals catalyze the breakdown reaction of concentrated chlorine.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks for the explanation