Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Units for AG vs. IG pools

1. Back To Top    #1

Units for AG vs. IG pools

If the unit has a real, standard PVC connections (I can buy unions, if need be), does it matter that the mfg says "only for AG". or is that simply a means to say "if you're rich enough to own an IG, you pay 2x the price"?

Given that the units are installed immediately before the return goes underground. I don't see pressure being an issue.

Real concern, or just a way of improving profit margin?
    Dave
    Sacramento
    1980's 15,000 Gal IG Plaster; 1 1/2 hp Hayward Northstar; Hayward Swimclear C3025 Cartridge Filter (325 sq ft, nom.); Pentair Legend; Polaris PB4-60; Equipment 40' from pool. p.s.: it's an aye-aye.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Units for AG vs. IG pools

I assume you're talking about swcg's. Some equipment is designed specifically for aboveground pools due to the placement of the cell and the lack of a flow switch. With those type cells you can't place them inline in an inground pool. However if it's a standard cell and flow switch then it's probably just a marketing gimmick.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Bama is correct, as long as there is a flow switch you should be fine.

The "IG" and "AG" function exactly the same way but the non-flow switch AG models need to be mounted vertically right before the jet. The reason I was told was so that some type of byproduct that is created from the cell is able to escape immediately making the switch unnecessary. If that factoid is wrong, please let me know.

4. Back To Top    #4

What does the flow switch do? Simply turn on the DC current to the electrodes, or does it operate a valve?

And, please excuse ignorance: what "Jet"?

Thanks again
    Dave
    Sacramento
    1980's 15,000 Gal IG Plaster; 1 1/2 hp Hayward Northstar; Hayward Swimclear C3025 Cartridge Filter (325 sq ft, nom.); Pentair Legend; Polaris PB4-60; Equipment 40' from pool. p.s.: it's an aye-aye.

5. Back To Top    #5

OK, the flow switch kills the circuit if no water is detected.
    A five-minute delay between the pump start and the generator should have the same effect (unless there are larger problems than dry electrodes).
    Dave
    Sacramento

6. Back To Top    #6

It may not have the same effect. If the pump is running but it's not pumping water thru the cell for whatever reason, hydrogen gas will build up in the cell from the electrolysis and could produce an explosive atmosphere. That's the reason for the flow switch.

As for the jet, it's the return port where water returns to the pool from the pump. Some above ground units rely on the cell being right at the return jet therefore having no place for the gases to build up. Rather they escape right out the jet as soon as they're generated.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

7. Back To Top    #7

I'd guess the main reason is that above ground likely is going to be lower output. Flow switch would make sense too but I bet that most of the above ground models dont' make a whole lot of chlorine.
    8000 gal diamond brite pool with 650 gal spillover spa, Pentair 3hp VS pump. Jandy Cartridge filter and Jandy Heat Pump. Jandy PDA automation system with 2 Pentair Laminars. SmartPool NC74S Robotic Pool Cleaner.

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks again folks
    Dave
    Sacramento