Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Skimmer plug leaking

1. Back To Top    #1

Skimmer plug leaking

Greetings all... Since this was my first closing I opted to use one of the rectangular plugs for my skimmer so as not to drain the pool down. Worked great until the temps dropped and it started to seep with a slow drip. What should I do now? Drain it down and leave the plug in or leave it be?

Since we have had freezing temps already the drip turns into a large ice sickle dangling from the skimmer. I am thinking the safest option is to drain it down. Thoughts?

--== Mike ==--

24'x54" AGP 13,500g AquaLeader Sentinelle | Hayward Voyager CC150 sqft cartridge filter | Hayward 2hp 2spd pump | Hayward Aquaray Cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Skimmer plug leaking

Try tapping all the way around it with a rubber mallet. I had the same problem and the rubber mallet worked. You have to make sure it's fully snapped on all the way around. I also used some pool lube on the inside of the cover to help it go on easier. 😎
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks I'll give that a try first
    24'x54" AGP 13,500g AquaLeader Sentinelle | Hayward Voyager CC150 sqft cartridge filter | Hayward 2hp 2spd pump | Hayward Aquaray Cleaner

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by pwrstrk View Post
    Try tapping all the way around it with a rubber mallet. I had the same problem and the rubber mallet worked. You have to make sure it's fully snapped on all the way around. I also used some pool lube on the inside of the cover to help it go on easier. ��
    I had to pull the plug out and let some water drain for a bit then made sure to clean all of the edges and finally re-seated the plug tapping around it with the mallet. This seams to be holding for now.

5. Back To Top    #5

Skimmer plug leaking

Sounds good. They are a tight fit, especially around the corners. I know mine was. 😎
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.