Checking reasonableness for winter care?

eqbob

Jul 25, 2012
Central Texas
So during the summer, when my salt cell was at 60% and a 12 hour run time, I was adding ~4ppm per day. Chlorine stayed pretty consistent, so drop was about 4ppm per day.
In this season, with reduced sunlight, I'm seeing about 1.5 to 2 ppm loss per day. CYA is at 70.

So that equates to approx. 50 ounces of bleach per day?
Is that a reasonable number / expectation?

Just asking because this is the first winter I'm caring for the pool myself, rather than outsourcing it.

Have adjusted to keep pH at 7.8, TA at 70, CH at 310, CYA at 70.

CC gets to be 0.5 when significant wind or rain comes in during the day/night and then goes back to 0 the next day.

Using generous rounding, 50 ounces equates to 3 gallons of bleach per week, so approx. $9.

So assuming 27 weeks between now and being able to kick the salt cell back in, that's approx. 81 gallons of bleach and $243.

Does this all sound reasonable, for those that have been doing the winter care routine for a while?

Will have to check Sam's club and see if Clorox is cheaper there in a larger case than it is at HEB.

Should I be adding this on a daily basis? Or can I add double the amount, say every 2 days, and let it come back down over a longer timeframe?

Every pool is different. Does your pool see a lot of debris on a daily basis? What is your water temp? Make sure you are checking the manufacture date on those bleach bottles. I usually look for bleach that has been manufactured within the last 30-60 days. Don't buy any bleach that you suspect is being stored outdoors since storing it in the sun can cause it to depreciate faster. It doesn't matter what brand bleach you buy; bleach is bleach. 50 Oz of 8.25% should raise your FC by 2.8. If you're not getting a 2.8 ppm increase after adding 50 Oz, you're using depreciated bleach. It is perfectly fine to over-chlorinate but I think you will spend more money in the long run if you do it that way.

Hmmm....You're right on the 2.8. Was thinking it was 2. Have been using PoolPal since it's on my phone which can be beside me while testing. The bleach percentage in the app was set to 6, not 8.25. Ooops. As to depreciation, I haven't seen a Born On Date on a bleach bottle....at least not on the Clorox ones I've been buying.

Regardless, I don't think it is, since this morning it was 7 and I added in 50oz and it now reads 9.5. (CC was 0)

Have been trying to keep it on the higher side due to being a little paranoid about something getting in there when the salt cell isn't contributing to anything. Maybe too paranoid. Also, TFP for non-salt says 5-8 and since I'm effectively not using the salt cell, I've been keeping it around 7.

Water temp ranging between 53-61 depending on the sunlight we're getting.

There's always something in the pool...landscaped around 85% of the perimeter and about 40% of that is with roses, so lots of petal loss in wind, etc. The mouse does a good job during its daily cycle and cleans it up.

Plus it would be cheaper to go with Walmart's great value brand. It's cheaper than Clorox and no difference. Just make sure it's regular household bleach. Don't get the easy pour jug ! It's not regular house hold bleach. ?

Ah...ok. The magic decoder ring helped, thanks! Saw that stamp, but didn't know what it was. My current jugs were manufactured on day 286 of 2014, so 47 days ago. Has been stored in the garage out of sunlight since purchase.

Should be able to refine my numbers now that I've got the correct strength in on PoolPal. Was mostly concerned whether or not ~3 gallons a week sounded high or low or just right.

Check out your local pool store, they may have the stronger bottles of liquid chlorine (10% and 12.5%) for a better price. I have a pool store near me (not Leslie's) that sells a 4 gallon tote of 12.5% for 17.99 plus tax, and it's always fresh and made regionally by HASA. Works out cheaper than buying regular 8.25%. Something worth looking into.

$17.99 for 4 gallons of 12.5% comes out to .281 per Oz. The Target Up & Up bleach comes out to .275 per ounce (using Target credit/debit card). The savings of .76 per gallon is probably what it would cost me in gas to get to the pool store. I have a Super Target less than a mile from my house.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That is a slight bit cheaper, and I have a Target nearby as well. Though in my case I am getting the strong stuff from a local mom and pop pool store that is well run, so I don't mind supporting them and also getting the stronger chlorine at the same time.

HEB is 3.50 per 121 oz bottle, which works out to 2.895 cents per ounce. Given that it can be picked up at the same time as grocery shopping with no other trips needed etc., that's not an unreasonable price point when you consider time and gas. I've looked at the Leslie's web site and don't see any product that says or resembles bleach. Lots of choline tabs but no bleach. Maybe they call it something different. Lowes is 4.24 per 121 oz bottle. Target is 3.59 per 121 oz bottle.

Oh...I looked at the walMart great value brand. 2.94 per bottle and not available for purchase at, or shipping to, a Walmart within 50 miles of my location. I refined my numbers and the gallons over the winter usage is closer to 50 which would save me maybe 25 bucks if that brand were even available. Great info to check out however, so thanks!

Both of the Leslie's that I visited before I found Glacier Pool Supply had 10% in a 4 gallon case. They don't push it like like they do the trichlor tablets, but they did have it.

I have seen it labeled LiquiShock, or some variant of that. I think that's how they market it too, come to think of it, as a shock instead of a primary chlorine source.

BTW, you may be overestimating your chlorine usage. Once my water temp dropped into the 60's my chlorine demand dropped dramatically. I have only been adding every other week or so to maintain 5 ppm.

Yes. I possibly am. I was estimating on 1.5 to 2 ppm loss per day which is what I've seen on nice sunny days. Past couple it has been 0.5 to 1 when it has been cloudy and rainy. I am still cataloging and learning the averages and the ups and downs for winter care vs. summer when SWG is in place.

Hi again bob! :)
Several pool stores sell what they call liquid shock or something similar. Lowes sells it also, as well does Home Depot, - at least where I live they do. Usually in 10 or 12.5% sodium hypochlorite.

If you compare the MSDS of household bleach to the MSDS of liquid pool shock, you'll see the ingredients are almost identical. The MSDS will always tell the tale.

This goes for lots and lots of pool products that go by all sorts of different names. Some very useful, some very useless.

HEB is 3.50 per 121 oz bottle, which works out to 2.895 cents per ounce. Given that it can be picked up at the same time as grocery shopping with no other trips needed etc., that's not an unreasonable price point when you consider time and gas. I've looked at the Leslie's web site and don't see any product that says or resembles bleach. Lots of choline tabs but no bleach. Maybe they call it something different. Lowes is 4.24 per 121 oz bottle. Target is 3.59 per 121 oz bottle.

Several pool stores sell what they call liquid shock or something similar. Lowes sells it also, as well does Home Depot, - at least where I live they do.
Only some of the Lowe's in my area carry 10% and they store it outside, which isn't so bad this time of year, but I don't need much this time of year. I haven't found it at Home Depot yet, but I've only checked one.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.