ATTN: BBB Method experts -- your knowledge is needed!

Aug 20, 2008
Hi everyone :-D

Just a few days ago I decided to try the BBB method. After adding the recommended amounts of borax, baking soda and bleach my levels are now within the appropriate ranges. :goodjob:

However, my CYA level reads as 80ppm. :( I know it should be 30-50 ppm. We are nearing the end of the pool season here in CT with a month or less to go and I don't know if I should even worry about it. Next summer we are going to completely drain our pool and refill it. Should I just ignore this? I don't even understand what CYA is.

Lastly, according to my test kit I have zero hardness in my pool. Is that a bad thing?

Thank you in advance to anyone who can help educate me! :wave:

Jeannie :)

30' round above ground pool
Cartridge filter
Vinyl liner
Mostly sun

I wouldn't worry about the high CYA, just look at the CYA - chlorine chart in pool school, and keep your chlorine at the level recommended by the chart.

I'm not even sure it's possible to have zero hardness! Someone else will have to take that one. :scratch:

Why will you completely drain the pool? THat's a bad, bad idea with vinyl lined pools.....

CYA acts as a stabilizer for chlorine. IF you have no CYA, your chlorine will be destroyed by sunlight. Think of it as sunscreen for your pool. :mrgreen: . However, when you have too much CYA, the FC becomes ineffective. The higher your CYA, the higher your FC levels need to be, to properly maintain sanitizing properties.

CH isn't a huge issue in vinyl pools, but the recommended range is at least 50. There is something I read about foaming water, which CH helps prevent....Calcium Hypo is one way to shock the pool and increase your CH number gradually.

I agree, no reason to worry on the CYA now, provided you maintain enough FC according to the Chart.....(the link is in my signature)

I also wouldn't worry about the CYA this late in the season. Just keep your FC at a level consistent with your level of CYA. Next spring after you open the pool, you may have a more manageable CYA level as it usually degrades over the course of the winter. So if that is your only reason for draining the pool, I'd suggest not doing it. Like poolmom said, vinyl pools do not like being drained completely. Since you have an above ground pool, I would assume it isn't as bad as an inground pool, but vinyl shrinks over time regardless. If you absolutely, positively need to replace water, leave about a foot of water in the pool to keep the liner in place. Also, there is a method where a large plastic sheet is used as a barrier between the old water being drained and the new water being added. That way, you can replace water as it is being taken out without putting any stress on the liner. Of course, you will need a really big sheet of plastic!

Just to clarify, CYA doesn't "usually degrade" over winter. Every pool is different and certain conditions have been reported in certain pools where their CYA dissappeared over the winter. This is not a "usual" occurrence. My pool's CYA level remained constantly high for years even thru several cycles of freeze and thaw winters, until I did a series of partial drains to lower it in to the recommended range. It was over 100 when I opened my pool in May 2007.

The reason my husband wants to drain the pool is so he can give the vinyl liner a really good scrubbing. It's not looking as pristine as it did 4 years ago when we got it. I did buy a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser and the next warm day will go in and clean the water ring around the top. I didn't know it was a bad idea to drain a pool? Is it bcuz the liner will shift as someone mentioned? If so I will make sure to keep some water in the pool. However much you all recommend. Lastly it was mentioned that I should keep my free chlorine level reading equal to my CYA reading? My CYA reading is 80 and my free chlorine is in in ideal range on a test strip, or using a chemical test kit is right in the middle. Is that alright? Thank you everyone!

Hey Jeannie,

The liner won't shift, it will probably contract a bit, and then when you go to refill, it'll stretch and possibly tear. How much do you need to leave in the bottom of the pool? Good question - hopefully waterbear, Jason, or waste will come along and answer this. They are three of the sharpest knives in the drawer.. :wink:

You don't need to maintain FC = CYA level, but rather the FC level needed to maintain sanitation of your pool water for your given CYA level. Jason's web based pool calculator can give you this information.

I am by no means an expert, so take this as jsut someone offering some info that he read elsewhere :)

The amount of water you need to keep in your pool depends on your local water table. I really wouldn't think you would want to go much below 18" below the returns in any vinyl lined pool if even that far.

Were my ears ringing? :p

Jeannie, welcome to TFP!!

As was said, draining the entire pool would allow the liner to shrink and not fit correctly when refilled. If the liner has 'lost it's luster' over a few seasons, you may have a slight metal issue with the fill water, it's really not a problem, but if it is noticeable to you and you want to correct it, there is an article in pool school on stains here that may help you.

If it's not metal, then your liner may have been exposed to too many chems from the pool store :evil: and you might just have to live with it. However, you can try to manually clean the liner with the magic eraser - this can be done without draining the pool! If you are seriously determined to partially drain the pool to clean it, leave 18" - 2' of water in it so that the liner stays where it's supposed to be -- this will also lower the cya :wink:

I think you should have the water tested for metals and if they are found, treat accordingly, otherwise accept the pool as it is (I can assure you that you are the only one who sees this :-D all that your guests see is crystal clear, non irritating water!)

Please let us know how you make out with this!! :goodjob:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.