Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: spa light turns on by itself

1. Back To Top    #1

orlando fl

spa light turns on by itself

I have an AQUALINK RS 4 with the optional Spa Side Switch, for a pool and spa. The light in the spa came on by itself without the pump running or attempting to turn it on. It came on and off intermittently. I was able to turn the spa light on from the inside control as well as the side switch with no problem. All other functions work as well from the side switch and the inside control. To keep the spa light from coming on I popped a gfi switch on an outlet that keeps it from coming on. I noticed that the red light in the middle of the spa side switch is constantly onů barely illuminated, which is not supposed to be, unless of course you have one of the elements turned on, such as the light. This started during an evening of heavy rain. The unit has been in place for 10 plus years with no problems.
    Any suggestions to trouble shoot would be much appreciated.

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Sacramento, CA

Re: spa light turns on by itself

Could be a board going bad or a relay.... is the light an LED color ?
    David Randolph
    Warranty Station
    Owner Sac Pool Pros

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

The problem is most likely the spa side controller or the wire that runs between it and the RS-4.
    You can test by unplugging the controller at the RS-4.
    Given its age it's likely that the insulation on the wire or the push button assembley has deteriorated and allowed moisture to penetrate.
    In the industry, CSP (Certified Service Professional) by the NSPI and it's successor the APSP. My company services over 600 pools every year. I think the practices regularly espoused on this forum (especially the BBB method) are outstanding; however my comments will be often oriented towards the goal of getting it done, and getting it done right now!

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Bad spa side remote.

A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you.