Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: When do CH and TA levels warrant adjusting?

1. Back To Top    #1

When do CH and TA levels warrant adjusting?

TF-100 Test kit...

CA stayed stable around 275 for most of the summer...its drifted down to 250 for the last month.
    TA has dropped to around 65 (only a slight color change with the 7th drop of test reagent)

So I'm at the very bottom of the CH recommended level, and a little under TA.

TA is easy to pick up a small amount of baking soda, the calcium chloride...I've only seen larger quantities than I necessarily need of it (maybe 100oz).

Where do I REALLY want these numbers, and how often should I adjust them?
    15.5K gal, concrete, 1HP AO Smith pump, Hayward C1200 cartridge filter, Zodiac T5 Duo auto cleaner, 8 panel solar heater controlled by Hayward Aqua Solar GL-235

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: When do CH and TA levels warrant adjusting?

CH generally only needs to be adjusted once or twice a year. In many cases TA needs to be adjusted more often, depending on how much it tends to change.

When CH is at the low end of the range, it is best to keep TA in the upper half of it's range to balance things out. TA is easy to adjust, so that is the way I would go right now. Then worry about raising CH next season.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

I'm in South Florida...there is no "Next Season"!
    15.5K gal, concrete, 1HP AO Smith pump, Hayward C1200 cartridge filter, Zodiac T5 Duo auto cleaner, 8 panel solar heater controlled by Hayward Aqua Solar GL-235

4. Back To Top    #4

The real answer is to keep CSI balanced.

Can you post a full set of results? Also, how does your pH behave? Is it relatively stable, or do you find yourself adjusting it often?
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

5. Back To Top    #5

FC=4 (I've been adding around 18oz of 10.5% every day or so)
    CC=0
    pH=8.2 (It drifts up slowly, we haven't been using the pool much, so had left it alone the past few weeks, usually about 16oz of Acid every couple weeks brings it right back to 7.5ish)
    TA=65 (last adjusted to 90 (I was shooting for a little lower) in August, dropped to 80 in mid-sept, and 70 at the end of September and has stayed there since)
    CH=250 (last adjusted to 275 in the middle of August. It stayed at 275 until early November)
    CYA=50

Water temp is probably about 80 on average. It will probably drop a little this week. Its been cloudy, so the warm weather we have had, hasn't done much for the solar heat.

6. Back To Top    #6

It is best to be careful to always keep the PH below 8.0.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

pH is back to 7.5...

8. Back To Top    #8

Ok, today's run of tests:

FC=8
    CC=0
    TC=8

pH=Between 7.5 and 7.8 (It was right at 7.5 before the baking soda)
    TA=110 (it was 80, but added baking soda and retested)
    CH=250 (tested twice, confirmed)

Water Temp is 81 degrees

Looking at pool math, my CSI is .03

Does that tell me that I still don't need to mess with increasing the calcium hardness, even though it remains at the bottom of the recommended levels?

9. Back To Top    #9

Not really, it is simpler to ignore CSI and just stay within the recommended levels, which take CSI and a number of other factors into account. You will want to raise CH eventually, though that doesn't have to be right now, and by then the TA will probably have come down (TA of 110 is higher than we recommend unless you are using trichlor tablets).

10. Back To Top    #10

Just buy a couple one pound packets of Cal-hypo and use them instead of bleach to chlorinate. That'll raise CH.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

11. Back To Top    #11

In the Industry

+1 what Richard320 said.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School