Hi, all. I purchased a six year old home with a small kidney shaped pool a week or so ago. I've never had a pool before and so this is new to me. We had a few freezing days here and so we've kept main pool pump running (and SWG) just to address the freeze, but I finally received my TF-100 test kit and so I performed my first tests this morning (Happy Thanksgiving!). Results were as follows:
PH 8.2 (or higher -- off the chart)
Given what I've read, I went ahead and dropped the SWG output from 60% to the lowest setting of 20%. I also happened to have some muriatic acid and so I added the suggested amount using the pool calc template here. It's circulating as I type.
In any case, I'm trying to get this thing under control. I've ordered some "trippers" for the two Intermatic mechanical switches which control the main pool pump and the booster pump for the Polaris vacuum. That should allow me to set some standard times (and therefore standard amount of chlorine addition via SWG). I haven't read enough to tell me how to address some of the other tests which are out of range, but wanted to post this here before I leave for Thanksgiving festivities.
Any and all comments are welcome! Thank you.