pool cover/leaf net

Aug 20, 2008
SC
I have an inground pool and have used a vinyl cover for several years. Two years ago I had to purchase a new one. I had problems with it the first season I used it. There was a lot of water on the top, it seemed to me that it came up from the pool, because we did not have excessive rain. I used it again last winter, and this time it was even worse. I ended up with tons of water on top, eventhough it barely rained. The cover itself seemed to sink. By spring there were also lots of leaves, dirt and debris mixed with the water which made opening the pool a challenge.
I ended up throwing the cover away, and now am faced with having to decide what to buy next. I can't afford a safety cover. The pool store told me none of the vinyl covers are worth anything, not even the more expensive ones, and they suggested to possibly only use a leafnet. I live in South Carolina, so winters are mild. Is anyone just using a leafnet? Will I regret this in the spring? I have a sand filter that I am not really happy with; I am worried that it would take forever to get the water clean in the spring and cost a fortune as well.
What do you recommend?

I use a leaf net but my pool is a small 16' round above ground. It's easy to put on myself and take off myself and the net holds the leaves while removing. Only a few will get in upon removal. Of course it doesn't keep rain water or small dirt and debris out but with the vacuum and 50 lb. sand filter I have it seems to do the job well enough. Only thing with just the leaf net is that I still lose FC due to sunlight so you have to test the water daily still. I live in South Georgia so our winters are mild also.

Can you use several blow up pillows under your cover to allow most of the rain water to run off? How about adding the leaf net over the cover so that when you open the leaf net will help pull the leaves off of the cover. Then you can maybe hose the rest of the leaves and dirt off before removing the vinyl cover?

Why don't you like your sand filter? Does the sand need to be replaced maybe?

I don't know, just my two cents here. Good luck.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.