Indoor Above Ground SWG Question

Nov 26, 2014
Fremont, Nebraska
We have a kind of an unusual situation. We are putting a 9 by 18 Intex (Aprox 5,000 gal) above ground pool in the addition to our greenhouse and are going to be using a swg.
The pool will receive some sunlight but very little direct sunlight as the area it is in is enclosed unlike the rest of the greenhouse. My husband is familiar with maintaining an indoor pool as he use to take care of one years ago(that pool also received little sunlight). But he has never used a SWG. I have spent the last 3 hours reading everything I can on the site about maintaining the proper levels for indoor pools. What my question is...how much salt in the initial startup would a person add to the pool for 5,000 gal pool indoors that receives little sunlight ? I think my husband can maintain the levels once we get it going. I just don't want to start off with a problem by putting in too much salt. I have read the booklet that came with the swg but it only states the amount to use for an outdoor pool. Thank you for any help anyone can be !

Welcome to TFP!

The salt level requirement stays the same regardless of the sunlight exposure for the pool. The level that would need to be varied would be the cyanuric acid (CYA) which helps reduce chlorine breakdown from sunlight. CYA is important for an outdoor SWCG pool because it keeps the chlorine generator from working too hard to keep up with sunlight breakdown. You won't have much of that with your indoor pool. My suspicion is that you will need practically no CYA.

Your SWG will determine what your salt level will need to be. They are all calibrated a bit differently brand to brand, but most will want in the 3000 ppm range. It will be clearly stated in the instruction manual for whatever SWG you purchase. There will be a chart on the bags of pool salt that should steer you in the right direction as to how much to add.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In an indoor pool it is very easy for the FC level to get way way too high and cause problems. Indoors chlorine usage is mostly entirely a function of people swimming. If usage varies, you need to manage the percentage setting on the SWG fairly closely so FC stays in range.

A good CYA level for indoor pools is around 20. That will help keep CC under control. The SWG will also help CC under control. If you do have CC problems, MPS is a good thing to try. It deals with CC in indoor pools quite well.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.