Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Shocking: pH rise?

1. Back To Top    #1

Shocking: pH rise?

Dear TFPers,

If I raise my FC from 2 to 12 for my fortnightly shocking, how do I contend with the large rise in pH from the introduction of the 275 ml of 6% bleach needed?

Will it return back to normal on it own after a few days, or will I have to add muriatic acid to deal with the pH increase?

What do most of you guys do when you shock?
    (P.S. I have a Spa not a swimming pool)

Thanks - D
    Jacuzzi J480 (2008) 1700 litres, Balboa ozonator, Delta EZ-18-120 UV lamp via custom 6-way 2-tier timer solenoid array, 2 x Waterway 4HP main pumps,
    1 x Aqua-Flow 1/15 HP circ pump, ChlorMaker IL SWG, SmartSeal + Roxul skirting insulation, 8' x 8' ThermoFloat Spa blanket, 100" x 100" Gator coverall

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Shocking: pH rise?

There is no need to worry about it other than adjusting the PH towards the low end of the normal range before raising the FC level dramatically.

Bleach is net PH neutral, the PH will go up when you add chlorine, and then go back down again as the chlorine gets used up.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Shocking: pH rise?

Thanks for reminding me of the pH reduction requirement for shocking, Mr Jason Lion
    Jacuzzi J480 (2008) 1700 litres, Balboa ozonator, Delta EZ-18-120 UV lamp via custom 6-way 2-tier timer solenoid array, 2 x Waterway 4HP main pumps,
    1 x Aqua-Flow 1/15 HP circ pump, ChlorMaker IL SWG, SmartSeal + Roxul skirting insulation, 8' x 8' ThermoFloat Spa blanket, 100" x 100" Gator coverall