Anyone ever do interventions at the Pool Store?

JayBauman

LifeTime Supporter
Sep 5, 2014
Katy, TX
A few weeks ago, I was at an unnamed Pool Store (I won't mention the brand, but it's the only chain left in Houston!) purchasing door alarms. There was a couple in front of me getting "Pool Stored" over their water analysis. Apparently, they had been fighting "green water" all year and were really agitated about the 5th or 6th "new" treatment the store was recommending. At first, I was amused. But the more I listened to their frustration, I decided to take action.

As they were heading back to the phosphate removal section, I pulled them aside and asked a few questions. (I bet you can predict their answers...) Yes, they use chlorine pucks and always have (11 years). Yes, they have been fighting algae for about 3 years. Yes, they have spent a fortune adding in chemicals over the last 6 months. No, these unnamed chemicals haven't made any difference. I briefly explained the TFP method and explained to them that they needed to get CYA under control through water replacement and then stick to bleach and acid only. I then gave them the link to this site and implored them to check it out and follow the guidance on here. They seemed very receptive to my advice and were very thankful for the intervention. I have no idea what they ended up doing, but I hope they are now part of the illuminati practicing sensible pool chemistry.

Anybody else have any non-TroubleFreePool evangelical stories and/or interventions that resulted in converts to this site?

Pretty much everyone I have ever told I am building a pool has asked me "Will it be salt or chlorine?", prompting a routine lesson on pool chemistry and the BBB method. :D I have only ever been in Leslies twice so far. Once for a life preserver and the next time to see if they have a cup anchor cover that would fit over my game/umbrella holes in the decking (which they did not). I might go back there to buy some toys at some point and if I ever hear one of them giving bad advice, you betcha I'll be stepping in. :D :D

I never see anyone to talk to when I goto amazon to buy random pool related stuff.

I have had convos with co-workers and ppl @ the grocery store...but that's about it.

I don't go in the pool store enough to intervene there. I do buy my liquid chlorine and acid at Menards and/or Fleet Farm. They also have pucks, shock and algaecide for sale. When I see someone loading up on any of those, I have started up conversations about pool care and referred them to TFP. Because pools here are so short seasoned and require at least partial drains every year, folks can get away with puck usage for quite some time.

It's a harder sell here because most people don't get real bad problems due to CYA overload until late in the summer and then it's time to close and then due to drain/refill cycle of closing then opening, things tend to clear up during spring opening. Owners don't realize they have a problem or have the impetus to change things because they can limp along fairly blindly most of the time. Short season + drains at closing + cheap water rates = apathetic pool owners. I've seen quite a few pools in the area though and none can hold a candle to the clarity and swimmability of mine. I can also guarantee that I spend much less on maintenance and chemicals.

Why do pools around there require at least partial drains every year?

Gets the water out of the plumbing.

Yep. It's also common practice for the pool companies around here to drain below the returns when closing, sometimes even farther because they know the more they drain at closing, the more CYA gets removed from them throwing pucks in all summer. Then in the spring after refill, the CYA is lower and they can continue the puck cycle again.

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I know what you mean but I think you can take satisfaction from the hundreds of successes that folks report on this forum

Yea. True I was one of them that was converted. I was all set on using pucks while I was building this past summer. I was pricing them out and everything. Then came across this website.

I did have the pool company come replace my leaky skimmer. Typically i would do this myself, but since I have to pay for water delivery I had them do it (that way if it leaked they would pay for the refill). They gave me the 3rd degree when they saw four bleach bottles on my patio. They were like "You don't use that in the pool do you? That will dry out the liner, it will make the liner fade, it will destroy and dry out your solar cover, and it will fade your clothes and its not good for your eyes" He then told me to run the pump 24/7 to keep it clear. I took none of his advice, but gladly paid him to fix my skimmer. I use bleach, and I run my pump on low for 8 hours a day. No problems here.

I have told people about it before, but I think most are set in their ways. :-/ I just want one person to try it, and then come back and say.. WOW, you saved me, time, money, and I now have crystal clear water.

One way you can help people see the light is offer your help here on the forum. It may not be face to face, but you'll be able to tell you helped somebody out by what they post and when they can't thank you enough for helping them out. Lots of those type's of threads. That's one reason why I'm here. ?

FYI, there are business cards that you can print out to hand to people that point to the forum. Even if you talk to them first, then they do not have to remember the sight. Also Dave will send you some if you ask ... ideally he could throw them in the package with something you order ;)

Late this summer I was in the pool store getting a few gallons of LC and algaecide to close. The place was empty and the couple guys there and I had a really frank conversation about their tactics, there was nobody else in the store. I found this site because I had a cloudy SWG pool a couple years ago and got sick of buying the phosphate ****. I "chemgeeked" them a bit and made that they understood the cya/FC ratio. And that if your phosphates were 40,000 it does not matter.
I have had the intervention with several puck addicted friends, but they all think it's fine, until their water goes to ****.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have helped a few at our Walmart. I don't know it they came here or not but at least I can say I tried.

I have a co-worker who was having problems with their pool. I tried to tell her about TFP. "Oh that sounds too hard and too much work." Oh well it is your money to spend. I even offered to come to their house and test their water for them to get them heading in the right direction. Last I heard they were up to $300 and counting! "It clears up for a week or so than we have to do it again." I do not talk pool with her any more.

Kim

I have helped a few at our Walmart. I don't know it they came here or not but at least I can say I tried.

I have a co-worker who was having problems with their pool. I tried to tell her about TFP. "Oh that sounds too hard and too much work." Oh well it is your money to spend. I even offered to come to their house and test their water for them to get them heading in the right direction. Last I heard they were up to $300 and counting! "It clears up for a week or so than we have to do it again." I do not talk pool with her any more.

Kim

How does the quote go, "you can't fix stupid!"?
If you have no idea what you are doing, how could you possibly expect it to work. Hey, can you rebuild this engine for me? Here's a hammer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.