Autofill valves - do they also auto drain?

Tsco

Nov 23, 2014
Thousand Oaks/CA
In addition to the auto fill valve able to fill a pool to the desired level..can it also drain to a desired level? I ask this because my pool's level became too high so I lowered the auto fill level..for the past three days my street drain has been steadily trickling a small amount of water..the only place it could come from is my pool; but I am unsure that it is the auto fill draining vice a leak.
My pool is only 17 months old (gunite with pebble tec); so I would like to think that it isn't leaking! My auto fill is a Paramount Paralevel.
Any thoughts would be appreciated!

[EDIT]. It depends on the design of the autofill.
The auto fill is [EDIT] fed by a water source, hose, sprinkler line, etc... plumbed to a float similar to a toilet float with a pipe from there to the pool.

[EDIT TO ADD]. Some designs do have a drain built into them. Others don't.

The only way for water to drain (other than leaking) is manually, using a pump, or by a built in overflow.

Most pools have a built in overflow but not all. Its just a pipe installed at what the water level should be when the pool is full. If the water level gets too high from rain, or from the autofill, water will drain out the overflow.

The overflow can look like one of 3 things.
1. A retun fitting without the eyeball that really isnt a return.
2. The overflow may look like a skimmer mouth on a gunite pool with a pipe routed to the street curb, or part of the yard or almost anywhere I guess that the PB routed it to.
3. An overflow pipe built into the autofill. It will be visible if you remove the top and look in.

It may well be the float was set too high, which would indeed result in a small constant draing of water via the overflow. If this is the case, then teh autofill will probably also be always
on and providing a continuous flow of fill water to the pool. This might result in a higher than normal water bill too.

Easy leak test to ease your mind.
Fill a 5 gallon bucket about 3/4 full of water
Use a sharpie and on the INSIDE of the bucket, put a mark at the water level.
Now sit the bucket on the steps of the pool.
Use the sharpie and put a mark on the OUTSIDE of the bucket at the pool water level.
Monitor it for a few days.
If the water level on the outside of the bucket drops more than teh water level on the inside of the bucket, then you have a leak in the pool.

If there is no discrenable difference in either of the water levels, then its not leaking.

Last edited:
There are autofill buckets that also have an optional drain. I happen have one.

They look like this:

mpwaterlevel.jpg

letrot40f_2.gif

Your autofill should have a drain in it but i know as a builder my self sometimes its an extra option to add it and some home owners don't want it so we don't add it.. you should be able to stick your finger in it and see if the hole feels free or and and see if water is going into it when the level is too high

Divin Dave and Mas..Thanks for the info.

I shutoff the water supply for now to the autofill so I don't have to worry about it reaching the overflow.

I'm also running the bucket test.

Also, the overflow does just run to the street curb..the builder has told me that the overflow is the only drain tied into the street drain. He said the rest of the pool is self contained and that I wouldn't see any draining (other than the overflow) into the street drain.

- - - Updated - - -

SacPool Pros..Thanks for info..when I look at my autofill I see two holes at the bottom..one is where the "bob" sits and one is, I'm guessing, where the water flows from the pool for the bob to sense the pool level..my actual overflow is separate.
It sounds like then that the auto fill usually only acts to fill..the industry standard is any drainage is a result of the overflow. Correct?

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.