Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Leak found Now what?

1. Back To Top    #1

Leak found Now what?

I have a Hot Springs Spa, Grendee model that developed a leak. The compartment with the motor in here was completely dry so I took off one of the side panels. I found a water stain about halfway up the wall and wetness at the very bottom. On the inside of the hot tub at this location there are three jets which I'm assuming are the source of the leak.

What should I do now? Call in a pro or start digging through the phone to try to find the leak?

It's a pretty slow leak, maybe an inch or two a week, But the concrete pad under the tub is constantly wet and I'm a little worried about ice permanently forming there over the winter

Thanks!
    Bart

- - - Updated - - -

Here are some photos.

image.jpg
    700 sq. ft./30,000 gal, gunite pool; 48 SF DE filter; 1.5 HP pump; Salt Water Generator; Solar Heat

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Leak found Now what?

Here's water stained foam

Or not......for some reason I can't attach another photo from my phone
    700 sq. ft./30,000 gal, gunite pool; 48 SF DE filter; 1.5 HP pump; Salt Water Generator; Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

Hopefully this one comes through
    Attached Images Attached Images

4. Back To Top    #4

Anyone? Bueller? Anyone?

Is this type of leak repair something normal people do, or is a job for the pros? I have no idea, but I'm a little worried about ripping the foam out to fix the leak and on the other hand I'd rather not pay many hundreds of dollars.

5. Back To Top    #5

In that case, I'm wondering if stop leak is the best compromise for you. It does look like you are otherwise in for the ripping out of foam.
    In ground extended Grecian, 22,000 gal, Hayward 220t sand filter, vinyl liner, dolphin m4 supreme.
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!
    Helpful Links:
    GET A TEST KIT Chlorine/CYA Chart How to SLAM About Metals & Stains

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks SW!

I may just try the "no drain method". I think you did that a couple weeks ago, how did it work?

7. Back To Top    #7

It only worked for the first 24 hours but I think part of the problem was I'd put te filter back in after the first 24 and ran the pump a lot to filter out the excess before a party. So it just didn't have ANY cure time for the bond to build up. I'd naively thought that since the leak stopped there might ave been enough of a substance build up to hold.

Maybe in your case you can get yours to hold if you leave the filter out for 72 hours and let your circulation cycle handle the distribution instead of running full jets after the first day, or using a broom to mix it up. Its worth a shot compared to the alternative.
    In ground extended Grecian, 22,000 gal, Hayward 220t sand filter, vinyl liner, dolphin m4 supreme.
    Helpful Links:

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks!

When you say "using a broom to mix it up" what do you mean? Does it settle on the bottom of the tub and need to get kicked back up into the filter?

9. Back To Top    #9

The instruction rcommend mixing it every few hours because the substance is heavier than water.
    Helpful Links: