Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: draining issue: no separate main drain line

1. Back To Top    #1

draining issue: no separate main drain line

Hello everyone.
    due to a dying swg, i put way too much salt in the system. Now i need to drain the pool. I see 2 lines feeding into pump, one is skimmer, the other is the spa main drain. So my problem is i do not have a separate line for the main drain. Is that common? Do pools with spas usually have this? Or do they have maybe 3 lines feeding the pump ( main drain + skimmer + spa)?
    To drain my pool can I plug the skimmer hole ( i saw there are plugs for winterizing) then it should suck only from main drain. Would that be ok?
    Concrete plaster. 14K gallons. Saltwater pool+spa. Hayward DE6020 filter. Hayward super II pump.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Tucson, AZ

Re: draining issue: no separate main drain line

Often the floor drains are plumbed into the 2nd hole in the bottom of the skimmer. You generally can not just plug it and have water pulled from the floor. Easiest solution is to rent or buy a submersible pump.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!