New pool in Southern, CA

emil

Oct 21, 2014
Tujunga, CA
Hi guys,

Here are some pictures of my pool build. Tomorrow they will be pouring the concrete for the retaining wall.

20140911_181918.jpg

SAM1396.jpg

SAM1406.jpg

33e387a.jpg

Wow! You and Corelone with the hills. Is the flat section that is walled in (where the pool is going) - the only flat open section on your property? You probably have some amazing views - but also the challenges of living hillside. -Karen

Man, those hills! I'm sure they already have plans but just make sure they waterproof behind that wall and get some drainage behind there.

Looking forward to watching this one. That hill is so close and high you could almost build a platform on it to jump off of into the pool!

Jumping off the wall into the pool - now that's good thinking! My dad was a general contractor - when he dug our pool as a kid, he made the depth 10'. My brother and I first started jumping off the top of the slide into the water, then we started climbing onto the roof of the house and jumping in....of course that was in the 70's and we didn't have pool alarms either. Sometimes, I wonder how we survived our childhoods! Your pool looks nice and deep -Karen

Hi guys,

Thanks for the positive comments. To answer some questions. Yes, that was the only flat part of my backyard, until we cut away the hillside. We had a nice surprise when we started the project, I did a survey to see my property line and it turns out my property is 20 feet behind that retaining wall, where you see the pool equipment pipes. The original plan was to go into the hillside 5 feet more, but we saved alot of digging by going straight back. That retaining wall is going to come down and my new fence line will be straight back 20 more feet, so it opened up a big area for us. Twolabs, yup a nice draining system and waterproofing materials are going to be installed. You guys got it right, no nosy nieghbors! The views are good, we are not that high up but have a free fireworks show every July 4th.

We almost had a scare during the digging, the diggers were claiming I was on bedrock, they couldn't dig, etc, etc. Mind you my access is narrow, so they barely got a bobcat in. So we had a meeting with my contractor, my dad who's a civil engineer was there and told the bobcat operator "just push your bobcats pedal down and dig!." Haha, he did it and broke thru. We had to soak the dirt a day or two but everything turned out great in the end and they ended up digging deeper than we had planned on so it worked out good!

We should supposedly be done in a month, I'll keep up on updating. Thanks guys!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That is a lot of wall! Glad I did not have to do it!

Is there some kind of drain or something to help the water drain from behind the wall?

Kim

Yup, there is a concrete channel going to be built that will empty into a catch basin. The drain is sloped to the rear of the yard.

I'm a fan of brick...I love your coping choice!

Thanks! We have brick work in the concrete of the patio, so we wanted to match it. I will also have brick in the steps that will be built around the patio.

Yeah skimmer prolly wouldn't work too well like that. Coping looks great. No mudslides in your parts hopefully?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.