Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. If you have problems logging in to the new system, you should try resetting your password. Click HERE to do that. Pool School

Thread: Maximum safe chlorine level

Maximum safe chlorine level

What is the maximum chlorine level you could have and still be safe to swim?
    Thanks
    My pool is a 10,500 gallon (420 Sq Ft ) kidney shape. 15 Quik-Klean floor jets and a hand made sheer decent waterfeature. STA-RITE HRPB30, Sand filter 30" 98 GPM,
    1 HP Maxi-Glas 2 pump, BBB Method, Taylor K-2005 test kit, Tightwatt self adjusting pool timer. http://www.tightwatt.com/
    50 Watt 12V low-voltage pond light illuminates the pool at night for a nice soft glow.
    Pics here, http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v643/MEATLOAF2/Pool/
    250 gallon stand-alone hot tub. Got it FREE! Pics here, http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v643/ ... Hot%20Tub/ I don't press 1 for English.

Re: Maximum safe chlorine level

Quote Originally Posted by meatloaf
    What is the maximum chlorine level you could have and still be safe to swim?
    Thanks
    Asking that is like asking how high is high. Everyone has an different opinion.

I use 10ppm as a guide line. If the level was 11ppm and a hot day, I would still let the grandkids go in. I would just tell my wife to make them take a shower when they were done swimming. To know when enough is enough, I would watch their eyes for redness.

I hope this gives you alittle help.
    Hotrod30

20 X 40 foot vinyl Borates and Salt Pool
    Rolachem Chlorine Feeder
    Hayward 27 inch sand filter with 80 lbs of pea gravel
    Jacuzzi Splash Pak SP55 DE filter in parallel
    Pentair VF3050 pump

It all depends on your CYA level. Higher CYA levels allow higher FC levels.

I will swim up to shock level for my CYA level. Some people are willing to go higher.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    TFP Admin. Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

I think I've jumped in at 13ppm, CYA was 100. I made sure to wash suits immediately, as well as myself!

Another way to look at it: have you ever jumped into a pond? That had no chlorination, and most likely quite a few yuck molecules swimming around with you.
    CaryB
    36 x 18 IG vinyl, 25K, 1 HP pump, sand filter
    1 skimmer, 2 returns, no main drain
    Old school: PoolSolutions test kit